Tip Of The Day And A Question :)

saltynay

Patron
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
2,514
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Singapore
Don't eat Daphnia, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae or bloodworms as they don't taste very nice. Had a blonde hungover moment and fed my fish live food (way too much) then an hour later decide I should try and siphon out some of it, using the good old suck on the end of a pipe to get the flow started. I could only find a 1litre container and so that was alot of sucking on the end of a hose and although not purposefully I did end up with quite a few critters crawling around in the back of my mouth :crazy: and undoubtedly swallowed quite a number.

So I have tried to start 2 spur of the moment cultures of the various live foods that I siphoned out of the tank. One sample is in a 15litre bucket with 3 week old rain water from the water butt so again is x amount of time old. The culture is a mixed bag of live foods from what I identified where the previously mentioned species. The bucket is in the sun for approx 6 hours of the day and I have crushed up a little mix of both tropical and pond fish food and sprinkeled it in.

The second culture is my pond which is 70 gallons IIRC and is in the sun from dawn until dusk and its au naturel with no electronics/ simple filters all I do is add flake food every day and clear out the muck every so often. The species that I know about living in there are; newts, frogs, goldfish, goldfish fry and what I assume are leeches god knows how they got in. The pond is heavily planted with hair algae lol and a few lillies which don't seem to of reacted to the warmer weather yet so I assume are dying which is fine as they are 15+ years old.

Can't seem to find much info on weather these cultures will survive in an English pond...... If they don't its no worries. Surprisingly my goldfish didn't react to the addition of the live food although I had fed them with flake an hour earlier, there is also a large quantity of the wrigglers so there numbers can be lost through attrition and there would still be a very large culture.

Final culture atm is my aquarium as there is still tons of bloodworms in there which are being slowly one by one eaten by the shrimp and assassin snail apeared to be in a duel with one which was rather strange to watch.
 
One of the great joys of fishkeeping, sucking up old tank water!! :fun: :X Unfortunately, I too have had that experience, although never with live food. Note to self: fish food apparently doesn't taste good.

I'm afraid I can't give you any tips on live cultures, all of mine failed miserably... Good luck to you though!
 
You suck the pipe? :oh: !!! Aren't there some fish diseases that can be contracted by humans? Fish tubercolosis springs to memory as one I've read on the web that is transferable?... And to suck on daphnia really sucks :alien:

Wow, why not just immerse the tube to fill it up, stick your finger over the end and let it flow?

Good luck on the cultures but try not to eat those too ^_^
 
Sticking the entire tube underwater can be really messy! water spills and you get your arms wet, which wouldn't be necessary unless you were moving decorations around. Most diseases fish have aren't transferable to humans, and the few that are (including TB) aren't as dangerous for humans as they are for fish (at least as far as I am aware). On the other hand, maybe I'm just lazy. ;)
 
lol, I'd prefer wet arms to a mouth of daphnia but each to their own I guess, you could try a little less water then you don't get the mess. Just my 2 cents. :fun:
 
I can understand why you'd prefer the wet arms, lol, but my laziness still wins with me...it's just so much faster. :shifty: Less water isn't a bad idea at all, I always seem to get drips... heehee
 
You don't have to suck it constantly just to start it off no real effort and my tank is 5 gallons and currently packed full with 3 flower pot caves, 1 pump, 1 filter all in one and a heater. There isn't room to submerge the pipe as there is also tubing alrady criss-crossing underwater. My fish are in perfect health and virtually any animal can get TB and or be a carrier stop being such a Health and Safety nut, yes I could get ill from drinking my fish tank water. I could also be hit by a falling plane tommorow life is full of surprises just go with the flow.
 
Yay, another argument for the suckers! (okay...really lame joke, I know :huh: ) I hate it when the tube knocks over the decorations and it takes forever to get them back the way they were. ugh!
 
Just buy one of the new gravel filters, saves all the sucking, just bounce it up and down a few times(oooooooo eeeerrrrrrrrr missis) and the water flows freely.

Mark.
 
Just buy one of the new gravel filters, saves all the sucking, just bounce it up and down a few times(oooooooo eeeerrrrrrrrr missis) and the water flows freely.

Mark.

Wouldn't that mean taking the fish out? That would also mean getting a new filter which isn't really a quick fix plus I have a sand substrate. I was just trying to suck up waste live food so that I could move it I also wanted to keep the food alive so that it could be put in with the ad hoc cultures. The deed is done...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top