Tiny tetra getting bullied

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

YewBush

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
About a month ago, I got 6 silvertip tetras (2 males, 4 females). At first, the males chased all the females and the females were nice to each other. However, the males eventually started targeting one tetra whenever they saw her, and at least 1 of the females joined in. She is not growing. This may be because they always try to chase her whenever she's about to eat something. She spends most of her time hiding. I tried getting 2 more full-grown female silvertip tetras, but this only helped for a day or 2. All of my other fish ignore her, although one of my brazos dwarf crayfish tried to chase her off when she was hiding in her territory. Should I try getting tetras closer to her size? Should she even be with any larger tetras right now? Thank you for reading!

I would try your own idea of getting some similar sized Tetras as the larger Tetra’s you have can dI’ve towards smaller fish which might be something that is stressing the smaller one out.

Is she actually eating when she gets the chance to?

Last edited:
Add more, tetras need to be in groups of at least 10 to be most comfortable.
And, if you can find smaller ones, get those.
How big is the tank?
FYI, that cray will eat any fish it can catch.

I would try your own idea of getting some similar sized Tetras as the larger Tetra’s you have can dI’ve towards smaller fish which might be something that is stressing the smaller one out.

Is she actually eating when she gets the chance to?
She does eat some food, but not as much as she would if she wasn't getting chased. I will look around for young silvertip tetras.
Add more, tetras need to be in groups of at least 10 to be most comfortable.
And, if you can find smaller ones, get those.
How big is the tank?
FYI, that cray will eat any fish it can catch.
The tank is a 55 gallon aquarium. Also, I will try to get 2 more tetras so that I have 10.

I am having a little bit of trouble with the picture and video, but I will post at least the pictures in a few minutes.

Thanks for the help!

CDF2043A-5D53-4DA0-96EC-176A0B6C640B.jpeg

This is her

3BCD8F13-B676-4E4A-9119-7114DA41323D.jpeg

She does eat some food, but not as much as she would if she wasn't getting chased. I will look around for young silvertip tetras.

The tank is a 55 gallon aquarium. Also, I will try to get 2 more tetras so that I have 10.

I am having a little bit of trouble with the picture and video, but I will post at least the pictures in a few minutes.

Thanks for the help!
I'm no help when it comes to tetra I'm afraid, but if you have video you'd like to share, upload it to youtube then post the link here. The video upload function here doesn't work, but people can watch a youtube clip :)

Most reactions

trending

Back