Tiny tank, big possibilities??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nugget

Reaction score
Hello!

I am relatively new to the aquatic world. I have been an arachnid and millipede keeper for going on 7 years and have had my betta and a pair of female snails since October. I also had a fish tank growing up so I have a little knowledge from that.

I purchased a 2 gallon upright hexagonal tank awhile ago for my millipedes (it was 50% full of soil and plants) but I recently moved them to a tank with more surface area and decided it was time to get another aquatic critter.

I understand the tank is on the small side, but I was wondering if there was absolutely anything that I could comfortably put inside the little tank and have it stay healthy and happy. I am open to fish, inverts, amphibians/reptiles, and anything else I may have missed. I am willing to do live plants as well. (I don't like the look of fake plants anyways...) I am also willing to try out a salt water tank, HOWEVER, from my understanding, salt water tanks should never be under 10 gallons so that is probably out of the picture.

Thank you guys in advance!

~~~

If anyone has any arachnid questions, feel free to hit me up on instagram ( @ tarantula_toes2 ) or on arachonoboards (username: Nugget )

^It wouldn't let me edit my post so Im adding it here: The tank has a filter that will be used and a mini heater is available.

Hi

I am sorry to have to say this but 2 gallon is too small for any fish, I have bigger coffee cups.

Welcome to TFF.

I agree with Nick; tanks less than 5 gallons are really not going to house any fish. Invertebrates (shrimp, snails) and plants are about it.

Byron.

I agree with them as in a tank like that multiple things can go wrong.Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites will be sky rocketing high .Small tanks a very unstable because of small water volume thats why it is easier to maintain a healthy aquarium in big tanks the small everything will be more diluted .In a small tank the fish would produce ammonia then you feeding the fish that equals more ammonia and stress for any speices of aquatic life . I keep both Freshwater and Saltwater .I wouldn’t recommend getting A 10 Gallon for that type of set up either because like i said many things can go wrong .And that mini filter mighr not even be able to take a sufficient amount of bio load to support any fish .I am sorry but for you and for the aquatic life I would have to recommend that u dont do it until u are able to at least keep a 10 or 20 gallon if ur looking for a small tank then u could keep a Betta or some tetras.

I am a big lover of inverts so i suggest snails and shrimps. Add live plants to help maintain good water quality. Dont forget to use a sponge filter

If you want to keep a really small swimmjng creature, consider live foods like daphnia, cyclops and/or scuds. These are really cool but will mutiply so you will need to feed some to your betta once in a while. Water changes are difficult so i use a airline and catch any critters that get accidently sucked up that are sieved through a piece of fabric at the other end and feed to fish

Dont forget to dechlorinate your water

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back