Tiny Betta Too Small To Eat!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jfeld

Reaction score
My betta Wendy has never been a finicky eater. Since I got her two years ago, I've been feeding her Tetramin flakes most days and freeze-dried bloodworms a couple times a week as a treat. I finally got her some decent food to replace the Tetramin (Hikari betta bio-gold pellets). My fish is interested in them - the only problem is that most are too big for my little betta girl to swallow, and she spits them out! The small ones she already seems to love, though. Surely some of you must have experienced this at one point and have some advice? Thanks!

If she can fit them in her mouth, they're not too big. Bettas chew their food, so as long as they fit in her mouth, she shouldn't have a problem swallowing them. It's natural for bettas to spit food out and then eat it again. She's probably just not used to having "crunchy" food. :)

Agreed. To transition her, you could try pre-soaking the pellets so they're easier for her to eat. If you are very concerned about her not getting enough food, I use Hikari MicroPellets and Atison's for my smaller bettas - both quite suitable for bettas, and nice and tiny so they don't have to spit out and chew repeatedly.

I have a boy that is tooo small to eat pellets as well. they have a small pellet food for fish at places like Big Als
I cant for the life of me remembe the brand or anything. but the pellets are really small..... I ended up feeding first bites to my boy
so he gets crushed pellets and first bites now .............. he is probably big enough now to eat pellets but I think he prefers them crushed and he loves first bites so

Goood Luck

I have a boy that is tooo small to eat pellets as well. they have a small pellet food for fish at places like Big Als
I cant for the life of me remembe the brand or anything. but the pellets are really small..... I ended up feeding first bites to my boy
so he gets crushed pellets and first bites now .............. he is probably big enough now to eat pellets but I think he prefers them crushed and he loves first bites so

Goood Luck
my betta he's a fussy eater he wont eat flake. he woul only eat meaty food such as bloodworm i was prepared i knew some bettas were carnivore

Just to help...all betta's are carnivores ;) Just some betta's only like live/frozen food.

-Ravenwing

Somewhere else on the internet someone suggested "New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula" for my problem. I was wondering if any of you have used this and have a review, if it's good for bettas? Thanks.

You could split them in half...

Is she a juvie? I feed my little guys mostly frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, it's very easy for them to eat, and it's healthier. If they get pellets, they get Atison's Betta Pro, because they're sooo tiny.

You could try Hikari Micropellets for Tetras until she grows big enough for the Bio-Gold pellets.

I agree, Atison's Betta Pro: tiny pellets in a plastic jar with a little spoon. Very easy to use. I hate the way Hikari is packaged--major pain to get the right amount. It took my Bettas awhile to accept it at first but now they gobble them up.

As far as New Life Spectrum is concerned, I had not seen that they have Betta food, or I would have gotten some. I use New Life Spectrum with my Africans and my gold fish. Very high quality products. Used by importers of wild Africans. I started using it when I got my Zaire Moba Fronts and the supplier said that was what they used.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back