Is my betta underweight

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Lcc86

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've had this guy a week, he gets 4 or 5 hikari betta bio gold pellets most days (he came with this food so I haven't changed it), he's also had a few bloodworms once, plus a fast day each week. I'm not sure if he's a little skinny? I don't want to overfeed and I know how good bettas are at begging and looking hungry! He was even begging when I tried to take this picture...

Attachments

• 20231218_084812.jpg
    20231218_084812.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 59
What a beautiful betta, my favorite color for a betta too. I can see how he does look a little thin from above. If he is eating everything you are providing, he definitely seems to be receiving enough food. In fact, I would probably only give him 2 or 3 pellets, one at a time throughout the day, and Iā€™d consider that well fed. If I had live food in the tank for him to hunt down, Iā€™d only give him 2 pellets every other day. Iā€™ll bet he would fill out a little more if you gave him other meaty treats once in a while.

What a beautiful betta, my favorite color for a betta too. I can see how he does look a little thin from above. If he is eating everything you are providing, he definitely seems to be receiving enough food. In fact, I would probably only give him 2 or 3 pellets, one at a time throughout the day, and Iā€™d consider that well fed. If I had live food in the tank for him to hunt down, Iā€™d only give him 2 pellets every other day. Iā€™ll bet he would fill out a little more if you gave him other meaty treats once in a while.
Thanks, I am definitely guilty of feeling sorry for my pets and thinking a little more food won't hurt, so I wanted another opinion so that I don't overfeed him and cause problems! He seemed to enjoy the blood worms so will try those again.

I purchased a baby "boy" betta a month ago and not only is it really a "girl" but now that she's getting larger she's rather plump, no matter what I do. I think her body shape is just like that. I think males are supposed to be thinner, possibly like yours is?

It is pretty difficult to see how your buddy's stomach is filled, his pectoral fins will nearly always block the view. But if your fish starts to bloat in the lower part right behind the operculum. You are overfeeding as much as if it becomes too swollen it could mean constipation.

full.jpg

One early sign of overfeeding is the Swim bladder slightly protruding. It is also visible on this pic.
1*Nwkfj9Wot1N8gmhJ2LLoiA.jpeg

A slight discoloration on the belly is notable because of the extension of the neighboring tissues.

A good picture of him side view would be more telling.

Last edited:
He's very tricky to photograph sideways on as he's a busy little thing but here's a couple I was able to get when I got him.

Attachments

• 20231212_073845.jpg
    20231212_073845.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231210_082900.jpg
    20231210_082900.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 12
Very difficult to say, from picture 1 he looks like a little belly bloated, but it can be is pectoral fin that gives this impression.

A good picture would be a little more like the ones I shown... A clean front glass will help your camera to focus on the subject and try to take your shot with the best profile possible.

If he moves too much, take Burst of pictures then choose the best ones.

Very difficult to say, from picture 1 he looks like a little belly bloated, but it can be is pectoral fin that gives this impression.

A good picture would be a little more like the ones I shown... A clean front glass will help your camera to focus on the subject and try to take your shot with the best profile possible.

If he moves too much, take Burst of pictures then choose the best ones.
I managed to get a video of him, hoping this link works!

Beautiful tank! In my opinion you shouldnā€™t worry about it. Fish can go a lot longer than people think without food. if your fish is thin my recommendation is to not power feed them, but just up the ante or up the feeding dosage to gradually bring them back to health

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back