Time To Do Something About My Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blade118

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I quit my tropical fish keeping for a while, now its time to sort everything out. My aim is to make it a heavy green colour again. I will be fitting new lights filters etc (brand new clean out)
But my questions are
1) I would like to add sand, but need some advice how u keep it, what type you need and how to keep it white and clean
2) If i use sand any suggesting on what to add (make it look fresh) eg live bog wood
3) if i wanted to add carol, in general is it worth adding? how hard is it to keep it alive?
4) Again, what plans could i keep to make environment better?

Just like to add i would like to keep tropical fish in sandy enviroment? is this a good idea?

Thanks for the help
:hyper:

1) I would like to add sand, but need some advice how u keep it, what type you need and how to keep it white and clean
2) If i use sand any suggesting on what to add (make it look fresh) eg live bog wood
3) if i wanted to add carol, in general is it worth adding? how hard is it to keep it alive?
4) Again, what plans could i keep to make environment better?

Just like to add i would like to keep tropical fish in sandy enviroment? is this a good idea?

my fish seem to be happy enough with the sand - there's a corner of the tank with white silica sand (from LFS, was about £8), and they quite enjoy throwing it around looking for food ;)

keeping it clean is reasonably easy once you get the hang of it - just use the pipe or gravel vac (i found a pipe easier), and hover it above the sand - with the pipe, dont get too close and the suction is enough to pull the dirt from the sand without sucking all the sand up too!

i've got bogwood, a rock and loads of plants in mine - a mixture of green and red plants (no idea what types of plants they are :p threw away the labels), but theres a few grassy type ones, a few shorter leafy ones and longer ones that reach the surface - dont know if thats of any help lol ;)

Coral = salt water / reef
Freshwater = not

as for the sand, i like to add live substrate to my sand, gives a more natural bottom look and gives me the option of adding plants, also it has natural bacterias and minerals in it, good for the water and the cycling.

I usually just disturb the sand on the top centimeter or so to release some of the gasses, kicks up the dirt and stuff then hit it with the water change / let the filter get it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back