Time To Change

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
OK, I've been running a S. American tank for some time now and think it's about time for a change. I've been tempted by an African cichlid tank. My problem is my local water supply. It's soft and has a neutral pH.

pH 7.0 - 7.2

GH 5 degrees
KH 3 degrees

I am planning on using 1-2mm limestone type sand as a substrate. I am hoping this will sufficiently raise the KH to the required level. I guess I'm going to have to use some additional salts to raise the GH and pH to the correct levels. Does anyone have any recommendations on which products are the best to use. As the tank is a 400 litre (100 US gallons) I'm going to be going through a lot of product so if anyone knows of a place to get these salts cheaply I'd be interested in knowing! In fact, if anyone knows of a cheap source of suitable sand I'm all ears!

Regards,

WK

I have Limestone rocks in my current set up and will have Ocean Rocks in my new tank. This helps to increase the PH and hardness AFAIK? I also have fine marine gravel mixed in with my sand thats supposed to help.

My pH is about 8.4.

I have Limestone rocks in my current set up and will have Ocean Rocks in my new tank. This helps to increase the PH and hardness AFAIK? I also have fine marine gravel mixed in with my sand thats supposed to help.

My pH is about 8.4.

I use pH up to make my ph go higher. I think the brand is called "API - Aquarium Pharmaceuticals"

I also use lots of lime stones to buffer the hP, and soon, ocean rocks to make my aquarium look more natural :)

If I can get away with it I would rather not use any buffers/additives and rely on the substrate and rocks to keep the GH/KH/pH at the correct levels. It's cheaper that way! Any chance I'd get away with that or would it be too little an effect without additives?

WK

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back