Tiger Shovelnose Feeding?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fish Guy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey just bought a Tiger Shovelnose Cat and was just wondering what people with personal expierence with them feed them. Also feeding methods. I have kept lots of catfish before but never a shovelnose, it is in with a jag and pike cichlid, so there is the obvious feeding problem. Getting the food to the catfish, in the past I have just tried to feed at night, just wondering if anyone has had an success with this method when it came to their shovelnose cats? Also I will be feeding it frozen bloodworms, squid, and brine shrimp, along with any eathworms I can get to him and meal worms as well.
The pike is belly crawler and is pretty much maxed out in size at about 5.5" and the jag is only small yet around 3.5", the shovelnose is around 4.5". I'm planning on growing out the cat in my 75 gallon, to move it to my 220 as it gets a bit bigger.
Thanks for the advice.

I was thinking about trying some feeders, and check to see if the cats stomach is full in the morning. If I put in a dozen or so there would be several left at lights out, so the shovelnose would have the best crack at them then.

Heres how and what I feed my tigershovelnose. I feed my tsn shrimp, and tilapia. They seem to love tilapia fillets. They go crazy for them. Try to handfeed him to make sure he gets it.

Thanks I'll try that. The last few days I got the frozen shrimp, and chopped up earth worms right in front of him, even landed on its nose but no luck yet. But I'll try hand feeding him tomorrow, hopefully he will take some food, I'm concerned that he might start to starve. He is moving around the tank a good bit for a catfish and seems healthy. But we'll see how the hand feding works. Thanks again.

Thanks I'll try that. The last few days I got the frozen shrimp, and chopped up earth worms right in front of him, even landed on its nose but no luck yet. But I'll try hand feeding him tomorrow, hopefully he will take some food, I'm concerned that he might start to starve. He is moving around the tank a good bit for a catfish and seems healthy. But we'll see how the hand feding works. Thanks again.
He should love tilapia. I wish you luck. If you can try to snap some pics of the tsn.

I'm not sure I can get tilapia here, I can check but it will most likely be a million dollars a pound lol. Everything costs more on an island lol. But no luck with feeding him by hand with the earth worms, he wasn't interested and he would also just swim away. I'll keep trying though.

I'm not sure I can get tilapia here, I can check but it will most likely be a million dollars a pound lol. Everything costs more on an island lol. But no luck with feeding him by hand with the earth worms, he wasn't interested and he would also just swim away. I'll keep trying though.
Hmm,... thats weriod... most fish like worms. I guess if tilapia isn't a option, you can try frozen bloodworms. If you have minced garlic on hand, try dipping a little bit of shrimp in that and try handfeeding. I guess garlic triggers their appitite.

I know, it is weird. Just ffrom my expeirence with catfish before I have never had any troule feeding them, they would eat anything regardless of their tank mates. I feed my tank bloodworms often along with brine shrimp, squid, krill , earth worms, crickets, meal worms and some flake. And the TSN hasn't taken to any of it. I'll try geting some shrimp and giving that a try.

I know, it is weird. Just ffrom my expeirence with catfish before I have never had any troule feeding them, they would eat anything regardless of their tank mates. I feed my tank bloodworms often along with brine shrimp, squid, krill , earth worms, crickets, meal worms and some flake. And the TSN hasn't taken to any of it. I'll try geting some shrimp and giving that a try.
Have you gotten the shrimp?? Has he eaten yet?? You may want to treat him for internal parasites.

Most reactions

Back