Tiger Barbs Not Active

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alien Anna said:
Hi,
just making sure we're all on the same page here.

When you said: "Dont know my ammonia/nitrate levels, i have done a 20% water change since the cycling process was finished and about a month after i put the tiger barbs in."

What do you mean by "the cycling process"? Did you put some hardy fish in that you have since taken back to the LFS, or did you do some form of fishless cycling?

I am slightly concerned because of the number of newbies we've had on this forum who've been mislead into believing that cycling happens as a result of putting water into an aquarium and just leaving it for a while. In case that is your situation, please follow the link in my sig and read what cycling really is - it could be the reason for your problems.

When you said "I have done a 20% water change since the cycling process was finished" are you saying you have only done one water change since then? If you don't know what your ammonia and nitrIte levels are how can you know if your tank has cycled? How long ago was this 20% water change? Particularly with fish that aren't doing well you should be doing very regular water changes, in case there is something wrong with your water.

You also failed to distinguish between nitrite (with an 'i') and nitrate (with an 'a'). That may be a mis-spelling, but its a vitally important one. Nitrite is a poison found in un-cycled tanks, a common cause of fish deaths; nitrate is a fertiliser that might give you an algae problem but is unlikely to affect your fish much.

In general I have a concern that you have been mislead by the LFS about the nature of cycling a tank. OTOH, if this is the root cause of your problems, at least we know what to do to fix it. Get back to me when you've had a look at my article. Good luck!
Anna,
Yes, i cycled the tank for 6 weeks with hardy fish, had my water tested at the local fish store and it tested fine and ready for more fish. I cycled with Zebra Dainos. I then put in the 6 tiger barbs and took out the dainos I made sure i did my homework before adding fish and made sure i didnt just jump right into things. The tiger barbs just never seemed like they were comfortable in my tank. They were a blast to watch with the light off, but not much fun with the light on. Which, is why i suspected it was not the PH of the water, but the light that made them uncomfortable. The water change was done about a month after i put the tiger barbs in, and even before and after the water change they were acting the same.

Well, not sure if this will help, but it can narrow it down to either lighting or other problem.

Try putting some electrical tape around your light fixture in a "barbershop" mode and it will cut the light down a bit. I would normally think of a water quality problem but if they all of a sudden become active as soon as the lights are out, it might be excessive light?

I had to always do that with my piranhas and once I did they became more active. it's worth a shot maybe? If it doesn't help you then at least it might let us try to focus on other ideas. :)

smb said:
Well, not sure if this will help, but it can narrow it down to either lighting or other problem.

Try putting some electrical tape around your light fixture in a "barbershop" mode and it will cut the light down a bit. I would normally think of a water quality problem but if they all of a sudden become active as soon as the lights are out, it might be excessive light?

I had to always do that with my piranhas and once I did they became more active. it's worth a shot maybe? If it doesn't help you then at least it might let us try to focus on other ideas. :)
Well SMB, i've already taken the tiger barbs back to the pet shop today and got store credit for them > I got an ammonia test kit and a filter for my bio wheel. :D I felt bad giving up on them, but since iw as also moving, i felt i might stress them too much moving to another city and not being able to set up my tank again as soon as i got there. So, when i get back, i will be starting over and cycling again. (i made a thread about it a day ago)

Any recommendations on what to cycle the tank with that i could keep in there and add more fish later? Maybe a few dainos? maybe a betta?

Sorry man for not knowing that before. I've had some family personal problems and haven't been around the past few days. I apologize.

If you're asking my opinion on the cycling tho...click on my links in my sig for what I believe is best. :)

Keep letting us know how it goes like you have. I'm very interested as we all are. :)

smb said:
Sorry man for not knowing that before. I've had some family personal problems and haven't been around the past few days. I apologize.

If you're asking my opinion on the cycling tho...click on my links in my sig for what I believe is best. :)

Keep letting us know how it goes like you have. I'm very interested as we all are. :)
I appreciate the interest, and its no problem about you not seeing the other link, dont think i was bitchin at ya or anything. :D I just wish i had the money for a larger tank at the moment. But with all the moving costs, i just have none to spare. But i have found a fun new hobby. I'm already itching for a larger tank...

So i know by the links what you find the best method to cycle... But do you think a single betta would be adequate to cycle a 10g tank and be able to add fish later?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back