Tiger Barb Missing Some Fin :(

bigpee

New Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Farnham, Surrey, UK
Hi all,

One of my tiger barbs has been really shy over the last week or so staying out of sight under some leaves at the bottom of the tank. Today I noticed that it's tail was partly missing. This sadly is the best photo I could get of it:

DSC03422.jpg


My tank is 110l or about 29 US gallons. I have 5 tiger barbs, 5 platys, 5 danios, 1 american flag fish, 5 neon tetras and one bristle nose plec. The pH is 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. I do a 15% change at least twice a week. The temp is 24 / 25 degrees. The tank is fairly heavily planted and I have two 2l bottle yeast CO2 generators on the go.

Is my fish simply being bullied or is this something more serious? And if the fish is being bullied (and I don't see this happening) what can I do about it?
 
Looks like fin rot from that picture.

Thanks for the reply - I've not had ill fish before so am inexperienced in relation to this. Am I right in saying that the best thing I can do is put this tiger barb in a breeding tank inside my main tank for a week? I don't have a spare tank to use sadly. None of my other barbs seem affected but are they at risk?
 
Looks like fin rot from that picture.

Thanks for the reply - I've not had ill fish before so am inexperienced in relation to this. Am I right in saying that the best thing I can do is put this tiger barb in a breeding tank inside my main tank for a week? I don't have a spare tank to use sadly. None of my other barbs seem affected but are they at risk?
Treat the whole tank with anti fungus/finrot or if you can, buy a small 5g and take 1/8 of your media and water next time you do a w.c and put them in it with a small heater etc.. as a hospital :)
Any excuse for another tank :shifty:
 
I do lie when I say I don't have another tank - I have just got my hands on a Rio 125l :) but I have other plans for that (just waiting for external tetratec filter to arrive). Don't think I can quite justify getting even a small tank soon. I will treat all the water though with anti fungus treatment. Is there anything to be gained from isolating the fish in the tank for a bit?
 
Prevents the spread of infedtion and lessens stress on fish, it also prevents other fish in your tank being treated with meds they don't need.
 
Here's an exerpt from the link I provided:

In aquaria common treatments are to do a major water change, add aquarium salt if the species can tolerate it, and make sure that a healthy balanced diet with a lot of vitamins is provided. There are many commercial medications available for treatment

So as you can see, salt, clean water, and good food. :good:
 
Thanks for all the replies. Poorly tiger barb now in a breeding net and the water has been treated with a fungal medicine. I shall be doing 15% changes every other day. I'll update when i see a change. Fingers crossed.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top