Thread for sharing art

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Art is like anything else, practice makes perfect. I used to do a lot of artwork but give up and didn't do anything at all for about 30 years. About 12 months ago I got back into it.

The perch below was my first attempt after all that time, and it shows, lol. After honing my old skills a few weeks later I did the snake. They're light years apart but I couldn't have done that snake without practicing and getting back my old locked in skills.
"And it shows"
No it don't! 🤣
IT LOOKS INCREDIBLE!

Art is like anything else, practice makes perfect. I used to do a lot of artwork but give up and didn't do anything at all for about 30 years. About 12 months ago I got back into it.

The perch below was my first attempt after all that time, and it shows, lol. After honing my old skills a few weeks later I did the snake. They're light years apart but I couldn't have done that snake without practicing and getting back my old locked in skills.
That is amazing… you have major skills

And this is why I don't like sharing my stuff...
Constructive criticism is really good but then sometimes there are other comments.
And this is one of my "better" drawings even... Not that I draw that much anyway but out of the ones I have that's one of the best.
I do have a few paintings. One moon over mountains with clouds that were a but thicker than wanted, one sunset where it just didn't turn out right, and one arc-reactor...
The arc-reactor is my least favorite by far
The moon is my favorite and then the sunset is somewhere in between
You will note I didn't post a lot of paintings. Doesn't mean I don't have a lot of paintings, lol. I paint what I like, I don't much care whether anyone else likes it.

You will note I didn't post a lot of paintings. Doesn't mean I don't have a lot of paintings, lol. I paint what I like, I don't much care whether anyone else likes it.
Well see, I will draw or paint what I like and then realize I'm not good so I don't like it...
I literally just tried drawing a raptor head and I made some progress but I feel like it wss just really bad... Its just easy for you to say that cause what I've seen you draw is really good!

Well see, I will draw or paint what I like and then realize I'm not good so I don't like it...
I literally just tried drawing a raptor head and I made some progress but I feel like it wss just really bad... Its just easy for you to say that cause what I've seen you draw is really good!
I am old. I have been drawing for over 50 years. Keep practicing!

The only painting I could do is paint by numbers! :lol:
I like watercolors better than acrylics. Get a watercolor pad, a good set of crayola water colors, a pencil and a jar of rubber cement. Draw your central figure, paint it, then paint over just that central figure with rubber cement and after that has dried, do a wash background in a couple of colors. After the wash has dried use pencil eraser to remove rubber cement. You should have good results. Buy a frame.

I am old. I have been drawing for over 50 years. Keep practicing!
Yes, very true... Thanks. I will try to keep drawing :/
I'm not good at doing things daily sometimes😅

So don't draw daily. I don't. I draw when I have time. when I go camping and everyone else is swimming. I paint when I go to my daughter's house and we both paint, once in a while I paint at home. I take a sketch pad for long dr office sit in waiting room sometimes, for anyplace I expect to be bored I either take a sketch pad or a book I'm reading.

Not gonna lie to you rocky, even professional artists don’t like about 40% (or more) of what they make. I don’t most about half of what I make cause I don’t like it. Give yourself the same freedom to not like your art that a professional artist has. I’ve talked to many about this very topic

So don't draw daily. I don't. I draw when I have time. when I go camping and everyone else is swimming. I paint when I go to my daughter's house and we both paint, once in a while I paint at home. I take a sketch pad for long dr office sit in waiting room sometimes, for anyplace I expect to be bored I either take a sketch pad or a book I'm reading.
I always have mine at the doctors.

Ok! Thank you!
That's nice. I wont do it everyday. That's probably a good thing because I don't want it to be something I do so much that I get tired of it and then its no longer fun.
Not gonna lie to you rocky, even professional artists don’t like about 40% (or more) of what they make. I don’t most about half of what I make cause I don’t like it. Give yourself the same freedom to not like your art that a professional artist has. I’ve talked to many about this very topic
How do you know when you have something good then?
I didn't know you even don't like some of your art. I always thought you were pretty confident about it...
Maybe later I will show you what I drew last night in pms... It was just me trying to practice and learn without tracing.
Definitely didn't turn out well..

There is skill involved. Abstract is what I can't draw
In 1915 Kazimir Malevic, quite a famous abstract artist, painted a true "masterpiece", lol.

It was called "Black Square", and for good reason, because it was, err, a black square, that was it, a jet black square, in the name of abstract art, and it probably sold for millions and had art critics drooling over what this mysterious black square represented. Look it up if you doubt me.

Now I'm not saying for one minute it was a good piece, because it was rubbish imo. But it was abstract art. That's why I said there's no real skill involved other than a good imagination, not in Malevics' case though, lol.

As I already mentioned, I think a decent grasp of colour theory helps more than anything, because having the colours in the right place to compliment each other is immensely difficult. It can make or break a piece of abstract art. I'm not a trained artist by any stretch, I wish I was, because the first thing they teach you is colour theory and I'd find abstract art a lot easier if I had been trained.

In 1915 Kazimir Malevic, quite a famous abstract artist, painted a true "masterpiece", lol.

It was called "Black Square", and for good reason, because it was, err, a black square, that was it, a jet black square, in the name of abstract art, and it probably sold for millions and had art critics drooling over what this mysterious black square represented. Look it up if you doubt me.

Now I'm not saying for one minute it was a good piece, because it was rubbish imo. But it was abstract art. That's why I said there's no real skill involved other than a good imagination, not in Malevics' case though, lol.

As I already mentioned, I think a decent grasp of colour theory helps more than anything, because having the colours in the right place to compliment each other is immensely difficult. It can make or break a piece of abstract art. I'm not a trained artist by any stretch, I wish I was, because the first thing they teach you is colour theory and I'd find abstract art a lot easier if I had been trained.
Oh cool! I'm going to make a "square" in every color! Maybe I can sell them 🤣🤣🤣

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back