Thread Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlawson

Excessum ut clementia
Reaction score
My PFK planted Cube has a carpet of Hemianthus callichtroides and it's getting swamped by filamentous (Thread) algae, what could be the cause? Lighting, nutrients? I have just starting using EI, but only for a few days, so it hasn't taken much affect yet.

It's becoming unsightly and its difficult to remove, my Nerites don't seem to touch it, would Otos eat thread algae, I always thought Otocinclus only really ate algae on glass and rocks not blanketweed. Or would it be best to remove all the HC and take all the algae out and re-plant.

So should I:

Wait
Add an some Otos, (which I will be doing anyway)
Remove the HC
Other

Thanks,
Mike

Manually remove as much as poss, keep the CO2 up and stable, and stick to the EI. How often do you do water changes?

Depending on the type shrimp may eat it.

Sam

I've removed a lot but it keeps coming back, it's also firmly attatched to the HC when I try and remove it which makes it difficult.

I do a 50% water change weekly and I will carry on now that I'm using EI.

I think the cause might be unstable CO2, my CO2 levels drop dramatically over a week so I will re-fill the nutrafin unit more often.

I don't think I'll add shrimp, I added Amanos and they all seemed to die.

Thanks,
Mike

Yeh it sounds like it was the CO2, also for smaller tanks you tend to need more water changes. Up them to say every other day, every three days at least. That should help.

There aint a quick fix to algae, you just have to stick at it.

Sam

OK, I'll keep doing the water changes.

Thanks mate, :good:

Mike

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back