thoughts on shrimp biodiversity???

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
so my cherry shrimp are doing really well, but they all came from the same source, as juveniles ... I'm wondering if it would be good for them, if I ordered another starter group from a different source, just for some more biodiversity... the ones I got, were from a good dealer, but they are supposed to be raised "in house" so there is a good chance of my original dozen, that there is not a very big gene pool there... more like a puddle... long term on my colony it seems to me it could improve reproduction, strength, & growth, with something other than brothers, sisters, & cousins... your thoughts???

a few of my bigger ones munching on an almond leaf at the back of the tank...
IMG_4948.jpeg

Last edited:
Something I've done every so often is to buy a single berried female from a store I didn't buy any previous shrimps from, and I've even swapped shrimps with another fish keeper so we both had new blood.
So yes, get more shrimps. You could get more now, or wait a few shrimp generations before getting more.

so my cherry shrimp are doing really well, but they all came from the same source, as juveniles ... I'm wondering it it would be good for them, if I ordered another starter group from a different source, just for some more biodiversity... the ones I got, were from a good dealer, but they are supposed to be raised "in house" so there is a good chance of my original dozen, that there is not a very big gene pool there... more like a puddle... long term on my colony it seems to me it could improve reproduction, strength, & growth, with something other than brothers, sisters, & cousins... your thoughts???
I bought several starter groups from different vendors.

I just figured the next time I ordered fish from another seller, that also has Chery shrimp, I'd add 4 or so to my order...

I'd like to set up another tank for blue shrimp as well, but I need to get that next big tank ready for fish yet... I have prebought fish for that tank, while they were in stock, & am housing them temporarily in a couple of my 10 gallons... so the blue shrimp are on hold yet...

I just figured the next time I ordered fish from another seller, that also has Chery shrimp, I'd add 4 or so to my order...

I'd like to set up another tank for blue shrimp as well, but I need to get that next big tank ready for fish yet... I have prebought fish for that tank, while they were in stock, & am housing them temporarily in a couple of my 10 gallons... so the blue shrimp are on hold yet...
In regards to purchasing fish (not shrimp) on line, whom have you been most pleased with? Thanks

I mixed 5 different colors, I can't wait to have "Mixes and Mutts" and the occasional "WTH", I find them pretty varied in their wild form.

right now my best are Dans Fish...
and Discus Madness...
I do like one in Milwaukee, as well... he just doesn't usually have the kind of things I'm looking for...
& I have bought from Predatory Fins...
but I had some issues the last order, but have ordered from them 4-5 times...
I don't have a good local fish store...
I've bought from several others, but I don't really recommend them...

I mixed 5 different colors, I can't wait to have "Mixes and Mutts" and the occasional "WTH", I find them pretty varied in their wild form.
I have taken another strategy. I bought grade AA fire red neocaridina and cull any progeny that are not deep red.

I figured after the colony is established, I’m hoping I can use the cull ones not to color standard as feeders

Most reactions

Back