THIS ONE FISH☝️Omg this one fish💥(time sensitive!!)💥

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

forumgulper

Reaction score
The issue: one of my glofish seems to be gasping, lathargic and slightly emaciated. Note: all my fish get fed regularily and I try to make sure all the fish get a decent share (without overfeeding them ofc).
but the issue is that its just the one glofish thats acting like this. All of my other fish are acting perfectly normal. I have no idea what this means. Im like 80% this fish is not going to live much longer in this condition. please, I need advice.. (or just tell me im over reacting. either will be greatly appreciated🫣)
background: first time fish owner😅 20 gal tank, vertical and planted with sand. There are 18 fish, total in the tank, 5 zebra danios, 6 neon tetras, 6 glofish, and tragically only one guppy (he seems fine but Im working on getting him some friends) all fish are about 1-2 inches long. I also Just did a 50% waterchange, I typically only do a 30% waterchange bi-weakly. but I increased it on account of the fact I though this was just a water quality problem but now Im not so sure.

nitrate: 0
nitrite: 0
ph: 7.8

the fish in question (the green one)
Note: the stuff floating around him is just bubbles bc hes like right behind the filter tube☝️ just incase anyone was wondering.
20230522_144539.jpg

20230522_144523.jpg
20230522_144649.jpg

sorry about the picture quality. I know its not very good :(

it has gill flukes and worms. get some flubendazole and treat them all.

section 3 of the following link has info on deworming fish

omg Thank you!!! Im looking into getting some API general cure as we speak, however i would like to clarify/make an addendum to my original post. the fish is not eating during feeding time, theres even been times when he just completly ignore food that floats in his direction. just complete unwillingness to eat.

If it has stopped eating, then it's probably on its way out. You can try frozen brineshrimp, bloodworm or prawn and see if it eats that. Live brineshrimp or daphnia will usually get fish eating if they are physically capable of eating.

Don't use api general cure. It contains praziquantel and an antibiotic called metronidazole. The praziquantel will get rid of the gill flukes and tapeworm in the fish but it should not be used with the antibiotic. So try to buy praziquantel on its own or get flubendazole, which will treat tapeworm, thread/ round worms and gill flukes. Fish usually have round/ thread worms and less commonly have tapeworm.

omg really?!! thank you for making that distinction, would not have known the difference if not for your advice! (also what brands might you recomend for somthing like this?)

Welcome to TFF

Hello. Good idea to increase the water changes, but it needs to be done gradually so you don't subject the fish to a sudden change in their water chemistry. Large, more frequent water changes can generally get your fish back on the road to recovery. Any water change less than half still leaves most of the dissolved waste material in the water. By changing half or even more, then the toxins left behind are diluted to a safe level in all the new, treated tap water.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello forum. I wanted to ask how you like your Glofish? I maintain a tank for a local government office and they're interested in Glofish that are Danios. Specifically, Zebra Danios. They want that species because their tank isn't heated.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello 10 tanks!!! zebra Danios are a wonderful choice to have in your unheated tank! (that being said I highly recomend you get a heater for the tank 😭) howeeever I do not recomend getting glofish if you dont have a heater for your tank. Theyre tropical, and will fair far better in a heated tank☝️😯 that being said, glofish are such a treat to have!! they have so much personality and can be surprisingly adventurous!! they love places to swim through aswell are places to hide.

Last edited:
I do not recomend getting glofish if you dont have a heater for your tank. Theyre tropical, and will fair far better in a heated tank
When you say glofish, which species do you mean?
Zebra danios are the first glofish species to be created, and like non-glo zebra danios they are temperate fish rather than tropical.
But the later-created glofish are tropical - glo tiger barbs, glo cories (they don't say which cory species), glo skirt tetras (both normal and long fin), glo X ray tetras (pristellas), glo sharks (rainbow sharks, I think), glo bettas and so on.

Since zebra danios are temperate fish, glo zebra danios are suited to an unheated tank provided the temperature does not drop too low.

Hello again. Good to know. I'll track down a heater and after some research, I found the Zebra Danios like their water 76 degrees. The office has a 55 gallon tank that's been cycled for a couple of weeks. It has some large snails that seem to be doing well. I'm thinking 8 or 10 of the Zebra types.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I have 3 zebra danios and a glofish danio. In diff tanks but around 77 degrees on both.

The recommended range for zebra danios is 18 to 25 deg C/64 to 77 deg F with the middle of that range being better so around 70 deg F. This applies to both natural and glo zebra danios.

Hello. Thanks for the help! I keep Zebra Danios in a 55 gallon tank. The temperature is 72 degrees and they seem fine with that. Just didn't want to keep them in water that was much less than 72.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back