This Little Critter Is Something To Talk About!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blitztidus

Spirited Away
Reaction score
Okay, I am split on this one! I got it a month ago with some feeder guppies, it looks much like them, it just has a shorter body compared to its width, it also has the platy look to its face. I have 2, and they happen to be one male one female, I took a pic of the male and am still not sure. It may be a guppy mollie hybrid, but I am starting to doubt it because the real difference between that and a platy is that a platy has a rounded forehead, like this critter. comments?

Best overall pic I could get
MVC-003F.jpg

bad pic, but better than none
MVC-001F.jpg

He was a fast bugger so I had to use the net, I never really got a true clean pic. I will try to take better ones.

Edit: add pics
here are some SOMEWHAT BETTER pics
MVC-012F.jpg

MVC-010F.jpg

If that helps

Edit: I outlined him so it might be easier too see
f8148bdb.jpg

It's still hard to tell, unfortunatly. Are you working on better pictures?

It kind of looks like some type of Goodeid perhaps, or some other rarer Livebearer. But again, it's hard to tell. :(

Those alone took 30 minutes to take. I will just compare it with what you said it to possibly be, That would be really cool. I would love to have one, actually it is two that I have male and female , even better.

Anyways, Here is what I found so far,
orange_tailed_goodeid1.jpg

Both of them look like the female there, but there is a longer dorsal fin that starts earlier. I will look for platies that look like that. I really don't know. :no:

I searched and found this for platies:
encino.jpg

It is close but the head seems a little strange, but the dorsal fin is right on and the body seems right so maybe it is a platy

I have looked at many pics of goodeids and have not found one that actually looks like it. If you are being slightly confused by that last picture with the outline, as it seems like the eye is kind of bulging, that is the angle that I used to get a good pic. I really think it is a variable platy, like that last pic. It is almost an exact replica, except mine is slightly darker. :/

Yes, it does. I'd go with Platy myself. :) It does have an interesting tail shape that makes me a little unsure though...

That's what my dad has been saying this entire time so I think I will agree, I wasn't sure what it was, but I was leaning for a platy, funny what you find in a bag of feeder guppies these days :D

It is big enough right now not to get eaten, so if it survives till I get another tank set up in a few months, I will keep it :D, by the way, there is two, one male and one female :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back