Thinking Of Building My Own Tank

drewry

Fish Herder
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
1,155
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
yorkshire hull
hi all im new to this site,
im thinking of building my own fish tank and if any 1 has some tips that would be great
im building a 4ftx2ftx2ft tank will i get away with useing 6mm glass and what glass is best
 
4x2x2's are made of 10mm glass as well, as already said its probably cheaper to buy one than make one :good:
 
Hey,

I would do some reading up, search google

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diytanksr...diyaquarium.htm

Basically I would get some prices first though, make sure it is cheaper. I know my 4ft x 2 x 2 was only £59 from urmston aquatics, that was with a lid.

iv been doing allot of reserch
i used to have a 8ftx2x2ft tank wich cost me £300 but when i split with my ex i couldent take it with me the place i got it made from no longer builds them .iv been trying to find some were that supplyes 10mm glass and cuts to size im from uk hull and every one iv rang doesnt supply it only 6mm glass .
on the 6mm glass iv been quated £78
 
I've seen on the sites where people have built large tanks from thick plywood and put glass just in front, this might be a cheaper way of doing it if you are good with working with wood. However like mentioned it might be cheaper to buy something that's close in deminsions than to build one or you may check out used tanks on line or in newspapers. I go to yard sales alot and find at least a few 29 gallon tanks for sale a year for around 10.00 or so with filter and light/hood, so this may be an option too. Best wishes on whatever you decide.
 
I've seen on the sites where people have built large tanks from thick plywood and put glass just in front, this might be a cheaper way of doing it if you are good with working with wood. However like mentioned it might be cheaper to buy something that's close in deminsions than to build one or you may check out used tanks on line or in newspapers. I go to yard sales alot and find at least a few 29 gallon tanks for sale a year for around 10.00 or so with filter and light/hood, so this may be an option too. Best wishes on whatever you decide.


yeah that is an option ill scout about , i am good with wood work and am building the base and lid my self. im really good at diy stuff and was wondering if i could get away with 6mm glass i would do it out of 10mm but carnt find a supplyer so 6mm with alot of support at base and top what do u think
 
I've seen on the sites where people have built large tanks from thick plywood and put glass just in front, this might be a cheaper way of doing it if you are good with working with wood. However like mentioned it might be cheaper to buy something that's close in deminsions than to build one or you may check out used tanks on line or in newspapers. I go to yard sales alot and find at least a few 29 gallon tanks for sale a year for around 10.00 or so with filter and light/hood, so this may be an option too. Best wishes on whatever you decide.


yeah that is an option ill scout about , i am good with wood work and am building the base and lid my self. im really good at diy stuff and was wondering if i could get away with 6mm glass i would do it out of 10mm but carnt find a supplyer so 6mm with alot of support at base and top what do u think
We have a 150 gallon tank in our Medical Clinic that is made of 8-9 mm thick glass so I'm thinking your deminisions are about 120 gallon and personally I'd say it should work just fine. I'm not an expert on water pressure and how thick the glass has to be but I'm thinking 6mm would be O.K. if not real close. Someone else may have some other thoughts, like they say "there is wisdom in a multitude of counselors" so I'd listen to some of the experts here that have a higher knowledge in this field than I do.
 
My tank is 122 gallons and the glass is 9-10mm thick.
 
I've seen on the sites where people have built large tanks from thick plywood and put glass just in front, this might be a cheaper way of doing it if you are good with working with wood. However like mentioned it might be cheaper to buy something that's close in deminsions than to build one or you may check out used tanks on line or in newspapers. I go to yard sales alot and find at least a few 29 gallon tanks for sale a year for around 10.00 or so with filter and light/hood, so this may be an option too. Best wishes on whatever you decide.


yeah that is an option ill scout about , i am good with wood work and am building the base and lid my self. im really good at diy stuff and was wondering if i could get away with 6mm glass i would do it out of 10mm but carnt find a supplyer so 6mm with alot of support at base and top what do u think
We have a 150 gallon tank in our Medical Clinic that is made of 8-9 mm thick glass so I'm thinking your deminisions are about 120 gallon and personally I'd say it should work just fine. I'm not an expert on water pressure and how thick the glass has to be but I'm thinking 6mm would be O.K. if not real close. Someone else may have some other thoughts, like they say "there is wisdom in a multitude of counselors" so I'd listen to some of the experts here that have a higher knowledge in this field than I do.
well just to be on the safe side im gunna put extra support on the bottm with stress bars because weakness is in the bottom corners so i think i should get away with it when iv done it ill post some pics thxs for all ure help
 
I've bought 8mm toughend glass from pilkington's before, they'll do any size you want. But it expensive. A four foot tank? why not just buy it?
 
not sure where you live in UK, but N&D Aquatics in Herts is good for tanks, i got a 48x24x18 delivered for £137 the day after i ordered it

I know someone got their 4x2x2 for £59 but if thats new its exceptionally cheap as i would imagine the parts dont cost much less than that if it was 10mm glass and good silicone

i certainly wouldnt want a 4x2x2 with just 6mm glass
 
not sure where you live in UK, but N&D Aquatics in Herts is good for tanks, i got a 48x24x18 delivered for £137 the day after i ordered it

I know someone got their 4x2x2 for £59 but if thats new its exceptionally cheap as i would imagine the parts dont cost much less than that if it was 10mm glass and good silicone

i certainly wouldnt want a 4x2x2 with just 6mm glass

im from hull i did have a 8ftx2x2ft tank built but couldent bring it with me when i split with my ex and the place i got it from has stoped makeing them now
i am a bit wairy about useing 6mm glass would prefair to use 8mm or 10mm but every were iv rang in hull only does 6mm
im not starting it for about 4 weeks so ill scout about see if i can get a second hand 1 , i will give n&D a ring and see if they deliver to hull thxs for that
 
well perhaps 6mm is fine, i mean if people with 6mm 4x2x2 can vouch for that maybe its possible, but i guess there's a reason 4x2x2 generally comes in 10mm and even 12mm

good luck with it, i think Hull might be a bit far for N&D but they are a class act, VERY highly recommended by everyone i know that has used them, including me
 

Most reactions

Back
Top