Thinking About Leaving The Hobby

same with mark, i too thought you were a guy. anyway whether or not to leave the hobby is still up to you but my take is that even if you quit now, its only a matter of time before you return. its the same as how Dorkhedeos has mentioned.
 
:lol: That's kinda weird that I give off the impression that I'm a guy. Is it the kind of fish I have been keeping? It seems that there are hardly any girls, other than myself, who are interested in predators. No offense taken anyone. :rolleyes:

I understand that I will be back. This hobby gets you! But, I have even been contemplating it before I fell, but I think it just cemented it in my mind. I think I might keep the exodon tank up as well, since I don't think I can part with the little devils.

I don't know yet. Lots to think about... I feel so indecisive! :rolleyes:
 
i first got into this hobby by someone loaning me a tank for a year while they took some timeout. Do you know someone that could look after your favorite fish for a while till you see how much you will miss them. If you pack up don't give all your tanks equipment away, i have done that and regreted it, wished i put them in the garage till the bug bit again.
We all need a break from hobbies now and then and normally come back with more ambition and tanks than before d:D , once a fishkeeper always a fish keeper lol
good luck with your choice
regards Angel
 
Weird I have been posting and talking to you on threads for over 2 years and always thought you was a decent guy till I read this thread. When you said you fell off a horse I thought hmmmm checked your profile and saw you were female lol and all these years I thought I was chatting to a man lol sorry no offence meant. Anyways I did exactly what you are thinking of now closed all my tanks down apart from my big tank the reef went, the puffers, Malawi’s, Oscar tanks all got shut down. The 3 months later set 3 of them back up and regret shutting down my reef. All I am saying is just have a good think and don’t do anything rash. :good:

bizarre I thought you were a guy as well lol. the power of the ineternet heh

take a break but perhaps keep the equipment stored away and see if you miss it

when I met my wife and was too loved up for my fish I sold all mine off including some great discus at silly prices... got married and now spenmd all my time in the garage with fish getting away from the nagging!! lol

good luck with the recupertaion Ms Invader
 
To be honest Invader... I also thought you were a man until you told me your name. :rolleyes:
Still hoping you recover quickly, and I knew you couldn't part with any of your bichirs. Especially after all the things you went through to acquire them.
 
:lol: That's kinda weird that I give off the impression that I'm a guy. Is it the kind of fish I have been keeping? It seems that there are hardly any girls, other than myself, who are interested in predators. No offense taken anyone. :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad, i get called bloke all the time, especially when I first started on here. At that time there weren't too many female mbuna keepers. :lol:
 
I don't feel bad, I just think it's hilarious! :lol: I remember one time, I was talking to a member on another forum and they kept calling me "bro." :rofl: It's in the profile!
 
I've kept fish for most of the last twenty years. I've had ups and downs and a few times without a tank at all. What I would say it once you have the bug you WILL be drawn back in a some point. Give it time, when you have recovered and you are back up and about the energy will return. Why not try breeding something or keeping a new type of fish to get the blood flowing again? If you do give up. I would CERTAINLY suggest move the fish on but keep your equipment.
 
I am travelling around 4 months a year for business purposes with stays abroad up to 1 month. I have found that timers, vacation food and automatic feeders do the trick for me. And I have somebody coming in once a week to have a look and make sure everything is working correctly. I have found that planted tanks work much better than non-planted tanks in terms of stability and 'neglect'.
 
Hiya Invader!

Sorry to hear your having thoughts about giving up on fish keeping.
I know you don't wanna hear people say "Oh you can't do that" or "Just stick with it" cause in the end it has to
be your own personal choice what you do.

What I do think though, If you do decide to bring it to an end by all means sell/rehome your fishies but,
I would personally keep the tanks/equipment for awhile just in case you wanna get back into the hobby.

I've been in same situation as your in now, When I moved I decided to give up on keeping fish and sold all
my tanks n equipment.... Now I have a new Tropical Tank coming today.

Just have a good think about it and make sure it's really what you want.

All the best!
 
Hi There
Sorry about your accident I had a similar problem had a little 2ftx1ftx1ft tank which I could easily maintain & enjoyed bought as a joint birthday and xmas prezzy cos i always thought it un-necessary expence but some thing I always wanted. Then we moved house and as part of the renovations my husband decided to put a big one in as a feature between two walls and at first i realy regretted it it was loads more work so deep I could only touch the bottom at one end and what was enjoyable turned out to be a nightmare. Any way its fab now and i love it to bits its still hard work but have got a kind of system now . My point is maybe you kould down size like people do with houses keep the fish you want in a smaller tank which is more managable until you feel up to it more.

Good luck any way
hope you feel better soon
Marlene :good: :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top