Thinking About Leaving The Hobby

invader

I'm a girl.
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
2,104
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Orlando, FL, USA
I have been toying with the idea of leaving the hobby. I took a bad fall off of a horse this past Saturday and I came out of it incredibly lucky. I did not break any bones or hurt any internal organs, which is amazing, considering I fell off at full gallop, downhill, on a rocky trail. I ended up with a strained back and multiple contusions on my body. I am making a slow recovery, but it will be a full one.

Anyway, I have been thinking about leaving because I just don't feel connected to my fish anymore. I got home and realized that I spend a lot of time and money on fish related things, when I could be out experiencing the world. Fish seem to be my biggest tie to home and I don't know how I feel about it.

I guess I posted this topic, because I don't know where else to voice my ideas other than on here. You all are fish keepers and my not understand how I feel, but are good at giving advice. :)
 
I have been toying with the idea of leaving the hobby. I took a bad fall off of a horse this past Saturday and I came out of it incredibly lucky. I did not break any bones or hurt any internal organs, which is amazing, considering I fell off at full gallop, downhill, on a rocky trail. I ended up with a strained back and multiple contusions on my body. I am making a slow recovery, but it will be a full one.

Anyway, I have been thinking about leaving because I just don't feel connected to my fish anymore. I got home and realized that I spend a lot of time and money on fish related things, when I could be out experiencing the world. Fish seem to be my biggest tie to home and I don't know how I feel about it.

I guess I posted this topic, because I don't know where else to voice my ideas other than on here. You all are fish keepers and my not understand how I feel, but are good at giving advice. :)


i can understand what you are saying, i am fairly new to keeping fish, but my first time with ich nearly caused me to pack it all up. it was stress that i didnt want, but i struggled trough and am at the point now that i dont want to ivest more into the hobby when its a possibility i could lose it all. Im sorry that you hurt yourself and i hope you a speedy recovery. Have you thought of maybe just rehoming the fish you have, but keeping everything. Once you feel you are up to it you can always come back into it. I know i love to travel so it can be kind of hard. But i would suggest taking a break and going on and exsperiencing life as you know you only live once you might as well enjoy it to the fullest. And your tanks will still be there when your ready to give it a go again. Good Luck in whatever you decide.
 
i would not force myself onto anything, especially if were talking about the fishkeeping hobby; it requires alot of effort and time and if you are not willing to give it with pleasure, then don't do it all. f you do, you'll just mess up your aquarium more and your fish will suffer. maybe you just need a break... or just a small change in life. good luck with whatever you decide.
 
Its sounds like you got spooked! It seems that you feel like you had one of those life changing experiances. I would'nt do anything hasty but think about it and see if your wanting to continue or retire, Or you may even be bored with your fish. If thats the case you could always take your old fish and get some new, I had to do this at the beginning of the year as it was best for me and my fish and I totally got back into it. But if you feel like traveling the world thats up to you heck I do that but I still have 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 lizards, 1 soon to be 2 fish tanks, and a mentally challenged brother but some of us are different.
 
Yeah, I know I'll be back. I just think it's time to pack it up for a while. Like I said before, I'm going to give it a little time (enough for me to heal completely), because I can't do anything with my fish when I'm in this condition anyway.

But if you feel like traveling the world thats up to you heck I do that but I still have 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 lizards, 1 soon to be 2 fish tanks, and a mentally challenged brother but some of us are different.
Are you trying to say that what I am considering is not good enough on your standards? I do have my parents who could take care of my fish while I am gone, but I do not think it is fair on their part, which is why I am considering closing it up for a while. Sorry if I took this the wrong way.

It just sucks... most of my fish I could handle parting with... but there are some I don't know if I could. :(
 
People grow into and out of Hobbies all the time.

I don't see a problem with it as long as you dispand the hobby properly.

I have never giving up an animal unless required too.

My opinion is that you took on this animal and this animal not of it's own choice is now reliant on you.

When hungry or distressed you are the only one the animal can rely on.

Sometimes animals get in the way of things.

There is always a way to make it work.

But I guess they are fish not a dog and cat but still I could see a fish making an attachment to a carer none-the-less.

If the animal could do better then give it up else I would try and be there for the animal.
 
if your heart is no longer in it (whether temporary or permanent) then packing up is probably the best option. After all it is the fish who will suffer if you 'neglect' them. (not saying you'd beat them with a stick or whatever(!) but if you have no passion for the hobby, or motivation to clean and look after them anymore, they will suffer so perhaps its best they go elsewhere?)

or maybe if you have a close family member or friend who could take them in until you feel better, perhaps in the future you could take them back :)
 
Get rid of some of the fish, (the ones you can part with) and keep the others. Fewer fish will require less work on your behalf. Put the tank lights on timers and feed the fish whenever you can. The less food the cleaner the water will remain and the longer the time between water changes. This will give you a breather and a chance to recover without stressing too much about the fish. Most fish can go for weeks without food so even if you feed them every couple of days they will be fine on that feeding regime for years.
If you are still unhappy with the fish in a few months time then shut the tanks down for a bit. I know I felt better when I got rid of my fish and simply had tanks running on timers with a few plants in. I didn't do any work on them for a while but they still looked nice with the plants in.

You did well by not being seriously injured during the fall :)
Maybe it's time for a change and you should go and travel the world or just do something different.
 
I can understand how you feel invader. I lost a lot of interest in my fish when my mom was diagnosed with cancer at the beginning of January, and thought about selling them. Then when she died at the end of January, it was such a shock, and I really started looking at my life and what I was doing with it. I decided where I am and what I'm doing isn't right for me, so I sold off my fish and I'm moving to another state. I'm starting completely over, new career, new house, new people to meet and friends to make, I finally think I'm going to be happy with my life. I'm sure I'll get back into fish when I move, but for now they just aren't a priority, so I did what was best for them (and me) and found them homes with good people.

I think whatever you decide is best for you is the right thing to do, whether that means getting out of the hobby or not. I for one look forward to hearing about whatever adventures you have, and wish you the best of luck. :good:
 
Look at it this way - you can always get new fish, but you only have one life to live. So go out and live it, (then get some more fish). ;)
 
You'll regret it later on if you get rid of any of your bichirs :( :(
 
Well, I've decided to pack up everything except for the 125. The fish that are going to stay in the 125 are the bichirs (of course!) and one datnoid. There will probably be some random cats still in there, but I haven't formulated who, yet.

Thanks for everyone being there for me. I really appreciate the help and advice. :)
 
Weird I have been posting and talking to you on threads for over 2 years and always thought you was a decent guy till I read this thread. When you said you fell off a horse I thought hmmmm checked your profile and saw you were female lol and all these years I thought I was chatting to a man lol sorry no offence meant. Anyways I did exactly what you are thinking of now closed all my tanks down apart from my big tank the reef went, the puffers, Malawi’s, Oscar tanks all got shut down. The 3 months later set 3 of them back up and regret shutting down my reef. All I am saying is just have a good think and don’t do anything rash. :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top