Thinking about a Gourami?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Unfortunately the purchase of the 26 gallon tank fell through :blush: it was used on craigslist and my mom let me know she would rather me buy the tank new, because it would be going on my dresser in my bedroom (Which is also the guest bedroom) and she wants it to look nice. IF I decided to save up and upgrade my 10 gallon to a bigger tank, I would save up and buy a 36 gallon bow front, which is 30 inches long, 15 inches wide at the widest point, and 21 inches tall. Because I don’t think my dresser could support 400 pounds, I would fill it only about 12 inches, about 20 gallons.

Would these dimensions have any negative impact on the planned stock?

I was thinking about doing

3 Honey Gourami
12 Microrasbora Kubotai
12 Pygmy Cory

I would not recommend half-filling a tank unless it is on very stable support to begin with. Any "give" and the seal could well break and leak. Same holds for a full tank obviously.

I would not recommend half-filling a tank unless it is on very stable support to begin with. Any "give" and the seal could well break and leak. Same holds for a full tank obviously.
Ohhhhh. Hmmmmm. My dresser is pretty sturdy, I have a 10 gallon tank on it now and it doesn’t wobble or anything one bit, and I will be placing a wood board and styrofoam or cardboard under the tank, would this make any difference? Is a half filled tank more prone to the seams or seals splitting, breaking, or leaking?

I was thinking of doing it half filled with some bamboo and other plants growing up out of the water, along with some other plants above the water level, but if that wouldn’t work I could look into a 20 gallon long tank that could be filled all the way? Would that provide enough space for the fish I mentioned? (3 honey gourami, 12 Pygmy Cory, and 12 microrasbora kubotai)

Ohhhhh. Hmmmmm. My dresser is pretty sturdy, I have a 10 gallon tank on it now and it doesn’t wobble or anything one bit, and I will be placing a wood board and styrofoam or cardboard under the tank, would this make any difference? Is a half filled tank more prone to the seams or seals splitting, breaking, or leaking?

I was thinking of doing it half filled with some bamboo and other plants growing up out of the water, along with some other plants above the water level, but if that wouldn’t work I could look into a 20 gallon long tank that could be filled all the way? Would that provide enough space for the fish I mentioned? (3 honey gourami, 12 Pygmy Cory, and 12 microrasbora kubotai)

I'm not trying to argue you out of the tank, but really this is not safe. We had a thread a couple weeks back about a member wanting to use a dresser (I think that was the furniture) and the advice was don't; they are simply not made to support the weight.

I'm not trying to argue you out of the tank, but really this is not safe. We had a thread a couple weeks back about a member wanting to use a dresser (I think that was the furniture) and the advice was don't; they are simply not made to support the weight.
Oh no. I have heard older dressers were made stronger sorta, better materials, would this make any difference? Would a picture of the dresser help? Wouldn't it depend entirely on the build of the individual piece of furniture?
If the dresser is doing alright with the 10 gallon, is it ok to leave it there? Or should I take it down? I don't have anywhere else for the 10 gallon tank to go, so I would have to sell it...

I am by no means trying to argue or disregard what you are saying, just trying to figure out what I need to do

I was under the impression that, because bettas are solitary animals in nature, they typically do better on their own And the presence of a small, fast, energetic, almost chaotic species such as pygmy Cories would cause stress on the betta
not trying to talk you out of the gouramis. but I have had success with 9 out of 10 bettas that were with cories/pygmies

currently I am housing my plakat dragonscale with some cobra guppies and they've been fine for a year now

the dresser could be risky, be careful. a tank-stand would be a good option.

not trying to talk you out of the gouramis. but I have had success with 9 out of 10 bettas that were with cories/pygmies

currently I am housing my plakat dragonscale with some cobra guppies and they've been fine for a year now
That is great it is working out for you! I did used to have a betta, he was like a purple/blue color koi betta with burgundy and white koi markings. He died not long after I got him, I am not sure why because the tank was well established, water parameters were perfect, and he was acting normal. I decided to start looking into other options, cause I have never had much success with bettas. If I am not able to upgrade my tank, I will likely get a betta!
the dresser could be risky, be careful. a tank-stand would be a good option.
The dresser has had the tank on it since late November and is showing no signs of sagging, creaking, wobbling, twisting, breaking, or wear. Before we even bought the tank, we really tried to make sure the dresser was able to hold the weight. I have always kept an eye on it, and will continue to do so!

Ok hang on I just thought of more questions!

- Can a gourami live alone?
- Can a single honey gourami live in a 10 gallon tank with a group of Pygmy Cories? (the dimensions are 20 inches long, 10 inches wide, and 12 inches tall)

Would a honey gourami or a dwarf gourami work in a 10 gallon? I don’t think my LFS sells honey gourami, so I may have to choose a dwarf gourami if I don’t want to spend $30 on shipping. Are there any other gourami that would be HAPPY in a 10 gallon?

not really in a 10 gallon. I do not recommend putting 3 together (dwarfs) but it has worked. Id suggest a pair or one alone with (depending on the temperament) maybe a group of schooling fish

Ahhh ok! I like the idea of a single one, but there are none that would be happy in a 10 gallon? I of course wouldn't get one if it weren't gonna be happy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back