Thinking about a Gourami?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Sooooooo since I am potentially upgrading my empty 10 gallon tank and have been looking into possible stock ideas, I realized gouramis are really lovely and I know nothing about them! So I’ve started researching varieties and their care and such, and I am very drawn to the Honey Gourami and the Pearl Gourami. I just wanted to ask a few questions, to figure out if either of those would work in my tank, which, if I upgrade, will be a 26 gallon Bowfront, 24 inches long, 13? Inches wide and 20 inches tall (I think).

- Would the tank size be sufficient for either of those? (Not both)

- If so, how many could the tank support (heavily planted and with adequate filtration)

- Do Gourami do well on their own?

- What would the best PH and GH be?

- Could either of those live happily with Pygmy Cories as the only other tank mates?

Using the tank dimensions given, the Honey Gourami is certainly an option. You would want more space (length) for Pearl Gourami. And while a lone Pearl might look nice, I would recommend a small group as better, and that needs additional tank space. A trio of Honeys would be nice, one male and two females. Floating plants. The pygmy cories in a good-sized group should be OK with Honeys, but I would suggest another upper shoaling fish, like one of the quiet rasboras.

As for the GH and pH, these are obviously all soft water species, but that does not necessarily mean adjusting water parameters will be necessary. Knowing the GH esp, and the pH will help us sort this out. It is always easier to go with what you have when it is feasible, rather than get into the often complex issue of adjusting parameters.

I second what Byron has said. Maybe add a few Microrasbora or similar sized fish, which wouldn’t increase the bioload that much...

Using the tank dimensions given, the Honey Gourami is certainly an option. You would want more space (length) for Pearl Gourami. And while a lone Pearl might look nice, I would recommend a small group as better, and that needs additional tank space. A trio of Honeys would be nice, one male and two females. Floating plants. The pygmy cories in a good-sized group should be OK with Honeys, but I would suggest another upper shoaling fish, like one of the quiet rasboras.

As for the GH and pH, these are obviously all soft water species, but that does not necessarily mean adjusting water parameters will be necessary. Knowing the GH esp, and the pH will help us sort this out. It is always easier to go with what you have when it is feasible, rather than get into the often complex issue of adjusting parameters.
Ah ok! I figured the Pearl would not work out with the dimensions of the tank, but just wanted to double check before I threw out the option, as I couldn’t find anything on tank length/dimension needs while researching.

So, a trio of honeys, a school of small rasboras, AND the Pygmy Cories, or choose between the rasboras and pygmies, with rasboras being a better option?

My PH is regularly at 7.5 and the GH of our water is 5

Ah ok! I figured the Pearl would not work out with the dimensions of the tank, but just wanted to double check before I threw out the option, as I couldn’t find anything on tank length/dimension needs while researching.

So, a trio of honeys, a school of small rasboras, AND the Pygmy Cories, or choose between the rasboras and pygmies, with rasboras being a better option?

My PH is regularly at 7.5 and the GH of our water is 5

Parameters (GH esp, and pH) are fine for the soft water fish suitable here. If you stay with the nano species like pygmy cories, the micro rasboras, ember tetras and similar, you should have largish groups, 10-12 of each species selected. And this tank is easily spacious enough for the Honey trio and three, four, five groups of the nano fish.

Parameters (GH esp, and pH) are fine for the soft water fish suitable here. If you stay with the nano species like pygmy cories, the micro rasboras, ember tetras and similar, you should have largish groups, 10-12 of each species selected. And this tank is easily spacious enough for the Honey trio and three, four, five groups of the nano fish.
Yay! Thank you for your help!

Are honey gourami A color variety of dwarf gourami? I have heard of the specific disease Dwarf Gourami usually have and was wanting to stay away from dwarf gourami, if possible!

Last edited:
I have 11 ember tetras and they're doing great with honey gouramis, and I'm thinking of adding some, as well. :)

Are honey gourami A color variety of dwarf gourami? I have heard of the specific disease Dwarf Gourami usually have and was wanting to stay away from dwarf gourami, if possible!

No, the Dwarf (Trichogaster lalius) and Honey (Trichogaster chuna) are distinct species in the same genus. The Dwarf is the problem so far as iridovirus.

Im new to this but was told honey gourami were less susceptible to the irridovirus (if that’s how you spell it) than the colour dwarf variety species. I have 3 in my community tank. 2 females 1 male. I have them with lemon tetra, cardinal tetra & cherry barbs.

No, the Dwarf (Trichogaster lalius) and Honey (Trichogaster chuna) are distinct species in the same genus. The Dwarf is the problem so far as iridovirus.
Ahhhhh ok! That makes me feel better!!!
Im new to this but was told honey gourami were less susceptible to the irridovirus (if that’s how you spell it) than the colour dwarf variety species. I have 3 in my community tank. 2 females 1 male. I have them with lemon tetra, cardinal tetra & cherry barbs.
Oooooo very interesting!

you know that bettas are related to gouramis and happily live with cories for the most part in addition they can also be more colorful but it's your choice :fish:?
I was under the impression that, because bettas are solitary animals in nature, they typically do better on their own And the presence of a small, fast, energetic, almost chaotic species such as pygmy Cories would cause stress on the betta

Unfortunately the purchase of the 26 gallon tank fell through :blush: it was used on craigslist and my mom let me know she would rather me buy the tank new, because it would be going on my dresser in my bedroom (Which is also the guest bedroom) and she wants it to look nice. IF I decided to save up and upgrade my 10 gallon to a bigger tank, I would save up and buy a 36 gallon bow front, which is 30 inches long, 15 inches wide at the widest point, and 21 inches tall. Because I don’t think my dresser could support 400 pounds, I would fill it only about 12 inches, about 20 gallons.

Would these dimensions have any negative impact on the planned stock?

I was thinking about doing

3 Honey Gourami
12 Microrasbora Kubotai
12 Pygmy Cory

I was under the impression that, because bettas are solitary animals in nature, they typically do better on their own And the presence of a small, fast, energetic, almost chaotic species such as pygmy Cories would cause stress on the betta

Your thinking is correct. Male bettas are solitary fish and should be housed in their own tank alone. As with most things in life, there are possible exceptions, but when it comes to fish, I am one who does not believe in trying to make exceptions and risking the fish in the attempt. The fish deserve better.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back