The Wet Spot Tropical Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nope....one of the most aggressive and nippy fish out there...see "Behavior and Compatibility" here: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-eques/

Have a look at red (or black or yellow) phantom tetras, just as attractive, and very peaceful, great community fish
Man, I had no idea. Although I didn't research that part yet.

Ive heard of black and red phantoms but never yellow. I will check those out. Thanks! Also, I thought red phantoms needed 30 gallons.

Man, I had no idea. Although I didn't research that part yet.

Ive heard of black and red phantoms but never yellow. I will check those out. Thanks! Also, I thought red phantoms needed 30 gallons.
8-10 RPs would be fine in that tank....but you'd be pretty much fully stocked, space-wise

8-10 RPs would be fine in that tank....but you'd be pretty much fully stocked, space-wise
Lets say I had my 3 peacock gudgeons and the RPs... Could I still have a BN or is that too big for my tank? I know it probably is too big but I just want to see what you think

I keep one in my 29G, but it has a bigger footprint than a 20H, which is what you have, correct?

I have also seen serpae tetras. I like them!

This species, Hyphessobrycon eques, is a feisty fin nipper if not maintained in good-sized groups, and sufficient space. Not only will too few of any species normally cause aggressive problems, but having a species in too small a space can do the same. This is why we consider tank size in recommendations for a species.

With this species, a group of 12-15 is minimum, and in a tank of 30 gallons with a footprint of 30 by 12 inches (75 by 30 cm), which is basically the standard 29g high. This means with no other upper fish unless the tank is considerably larger.

It is really a pity that this species of tetra is so widely available, because it is indeed very attractive, but it has one of the nastiest dispositions, comparable to Tiger Barbs. The white-edged nipped fins are almost always seen on this fish.

I meant to ask... What is your KH?

Zero. GH and KH are zero in the tap water and I add nothing except fish foods and minimal plant fertilizers that could increase either.

Zero. GH and KH are zero in the tap water and I add nothing except fish foods and minimal plant fertilizers that could increase either.
Thats why your PH goes down like nothing... *sighhhhh* I really wish I had a lower KH and PH

Thats why your PH goes down like nothing... *sighhhhh* I really wish I had a lower KH and PH

Yes, the pH does lower, but this has its issues too. The pH fluctuation at each water change does concern me.

Very GOOD company! Excellent customer service. I love purchasing from them... Very proffesional!
Bit on the expensive side but it's the quality of the fish and quality customer service that makes up for it. Have only lost one fish from them and they replaced it no questions asked.
I highly recommend it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back