the unexpected!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Luke

Reaction score
I just changed the water in my tank tonight. After i was done i was looking at all the crap i just got out of my tank when i saw something moving. To my suprise little zebra danios. I couldnt believe it. Usually they dont breed. Is this normal????

Luke,
Yes, it is VERY poss. that they bred for you. If the conditions were right and you have a pair yes. So look at it this way you are doing something if not all right. :D :D :D

The problem now is going to be finding such small fry in the muk unless you stopped water change when you noticed it. I am sure you have already located and removed the ones you have found. If so, you will need to feed them food small enough that they will eat.

BABY brine is GREAT for fry, daphnia, or even frozen baby brine. You could also crush up some flake food really, really, fine and feed that as well. I would suggest feeding the a variety but keeping that protien in there diet. this will help them grow faster and unlike cichlids they can't bloat from it.

The live foods will help them grow like wild flowers in the spring.
i would not keep them with the adults because in most cases they will be eaten. Young can and will tend to be a bit shy so you must assure they are eating . If they shy off some will hider due to fear and not eat. this can cause a few deaths. if so don't worry cause this happen to me also.

I suggest keeping the fry in a small tank like a 5 gal if poss. Well planted or at least a few plants for cover and that will make fry feel safer.
A sponge filter would work best compared to a external or a filter were fry can get stuck or sucked up into.
The reason I suggest such a small tank is because, when fry as this small there always tend to be a few runts. mostly because when they are kept in larger tanks as fry it is in most cases impossiable for all fry to get equel food.

This holds true IMO for most all species of fish. I move fry up tanks in stages. When first realeased they get a 5 g. tank depending on fry count. If a really small spawn they get a 3 g. Once the fry are about a few weeks old and they are actually fish size and not just heads and tails. ( lol)
they get into a 10g or a 20g depending on fry count. from there they get into 30 breeders, 55 g, 30 longs, and 40 breeders.
All depending on the amount of fish to be housed depends on the tank size I give them. but, always a large enough tank to comfortably house the fish with little to no aggression between sibblings.

Hope this helps, alright enough rambling :lol: :lol:
Danny

THanks.....but i cant even see the babies in the tank. The only reason i saw them in the first place was because i syphoned them into a white bucket. And then i could barely see them. Should i just wait until they grom a little more? How long will it take them to grow?

Danny - the lost soul--- said:
and unlike cichlids they can't bloat from it.
Whats bloating? Well, besides getting fat from something. Is this caused from over feeding?

Also, is I use the powdered flakes to feed my fry, will they get to it (or even see it) before it floats down into the substrate?

Most reactions

Back