The Tea Lovers Thread

You could die of thirst waiting for a microwave to boil the water, and we have a 1000W microwave. A kettle boils the same amount in a fraction of the time :)
I guess I have the deluxe, nuclear-powered turbo microwave.

Maybe American microwaves are higher wattage than UK microwaves. Isn't everything supposed to be bigger in the US ;) :lol:

You could die of thirst waiting for a microwave to boil the water, and we have a 1000W microwave. A kettle boils the same amount in a fraction of the time :)
Cup at a time, my microwave only takes 2 minutes to boil water...1100W

It took longer than a couple of minutes to boil enough water in the microwave for 3 mugs of tea (2 for me and 1 for him). That's about 1 litre/0.3 gallons. At breakfast next day, I used a pan on the hob for 2 mugs worth of water, then went kettle shopping.

It took longer than a couple of minutes to boil enough water in the microwave for 3 mugs of tea (2 for me and 1 for him). That's about 1 litre/0.3 gallons. At breakfast next day, I used a pan on the hob for 2 mugs worth of water, then went kettle shopping.
You used a pan on your hang-on-back filter??.....I'm confused

I'm the only tea drinker in my house, so no need for a full pot of hot water

Cooker hob, the flat thing on top of the cooker with heating elements embedded in the ceramic surface :lol: (Edit - they call it ceramic but it's actually a type of glass :unsure: )

cooker.jpg

(Next cooker will have an induction hob, be interesting to see how fast that boils a pan of water)

Last edited:
HoB in fishkeeping terms is hang on back, quite right.

However, in UK anyway, hob is the cooking top part where you place pots and pans on, hob in old English basically means ‘to hold’ or ‘holder’ as in holding old style pots from long poles over fire over a range, at least that’s what my mum told me when I was a wee nipper.

Ahhhh...learned something today...over here, we call those "burners", or "heating elements"

hob in old English basically means ‘to hold’ or ‘holder’ as in holding old style pots from long poles over fire over a range,
You learn something new every day :)

Can you tell me why? If the water is boiling when it hits the tea, I don't see what difference it makes.
It’s just not right…it’s all part of the ritual…fill the kettle and switch it on, get the mugs and teaspoon out, put the teabags in the mug (yes I do slack on that as tea get too strong for me in a pot and I only want one mug at a time), milk from the fridge, check the biscuit situation by which time the kettle has boiled… (and seriously I can taste the difference)…

Hob? We call that a range. Separated by a common language! :lol:
It’s just not right…it’s all part of the ritual…fill the kettle and switch it on, get the mugs and teaspoon out, put the teabags in the mug (yes I do slack on that as tea get too strong for me in a pot and I only want one mug at a time), milk from the fridge, check the biscuit situation by which time the kettle has boiled… (and seriously I can taste the difference)…
Well, I can agree with that. Tea does taste a bit better, somehow, when done "properly." More experience than taste, I think. But then, I think loose tea almost always tastes a lot better than bags, perhaps for the same reason. The extra work makes it more satisfying.

I think commercial microwaves are more powerful than domestic. We used to have ones rated at 2000w and above in the kitchen at my last office. These carried stickers warning that they would cook faster than domestic ones.
Yorkshire every day of the week for me. I always take a supply whenever I go abroad. I can't stand those Lipton's teas bags - you need at least two in each cup to get any flavour out!

You have to shut the microwave door and turn it on, sheesh

Just give me a roaring open fire with a pot holder and pan full of snow for a nice cup of tea (or coffee).....with marshmallows on sticks gently roasting ;)

Most reactions

Back