The neglected turtle

Bryan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Some friends of my wife had this turtle. They kept it in a 10 gal tank. The turtle was almost to big to turn around in it. They only kept 2 inches of water in it so the turtle couldn't go under water, and couldn't get out of the water.
Because it couldn't get out of the water it would get a heavy growth of algae on the part of the shell that was in the water. Once a month they would take a scrub brush and scrub the shell clean, you can imagin how stressful this was for the poor turtle.
They had the tank sitting on a shelf outside by the front door and whenever you'd walk by it'd freak the turtle out. The water was always thick with uneaten food and poop.
Poor turtle.

When I started to put tanks in my wifes classroom, I had found out that the principal had a 55 w/stand filter and light that was just returned by someone that was borrowing it. So, I asked him I could borrow it if he wasn't going to use it. When I told him I was setting it up in the school he loved the idea and gave it to me.
The center bar was rotted out, I don't get it, it's plastic, but looked like it rusted. You could place the hoods on it, but when you filled it with water the front and back would bow out. Looked ready to blow. I didn't dare to keep it full of water so I decided to go buy my own 40 gallon, it would still fit in his stand (most know but a 40gal long is the same length as a 55gal).
I went to get the 40 gal. and everyone wanted a little over $160, and I noticed the the 55 gal. was only $89. I asked why and they said the 40's don't sell, and the 55's are a hot item. So, I bought a 55 gallon. I don't like them as much, a 40 gal is easier to maintain if you have plants.
So, now I have a 55 that can't be filled.

Years ago I made a tank for a small turtle I had, it was a 15 gallon. I had a piece of glass cut that was half as tall as the side and it would fit in the tank. I used aquarium silicon to glue it in place cutting the tank in 1/2. Then I fill one half with water and the other half with gravel. I used an undergravel filter on the water side because I think it would be too much work to make a back power filter suck water from a 1/2 full tank.
Anyway, I decided to do it again, but with the princepals 55. I asked and he said sure, so then I ased my wifes friend if we could have their turtle and she said sure.
I built the tank, and took the turtle, he loved it. He did have some problems with it though, having never floated he didn't know how to use his bladder and he would sink like a rock. He also didn't know to get out of the water to dry the shell off and would get lots of algae growing on it. I didn't scrub him down like the former owner because it seemed to stressfull. Eventually he learned to use his bladder and was able to float and he would dry his shell off every few days, but not every day like he should.
Then a few months later a students parent gave us another one, smaller. The one we had was about 7'' long and the new one was about 4" long. The big one bit 1/2 of the right rear foot off of the new one so I had to seperate them.

The person that used to live where I do now (my house) had a business where he'd go scuba diving and get salt water fish to sell to tropical fish stores (he made big $$$ doing that). I remembered he had left some holding tanks were he used to store the fish. I figured I could use one of those for the turtle. So I took the turtle home
When I went to the garage out back where he had the holding tanks I saw a wash tub, about 3'x3'x3.5'.

DSCF1646.jpg

I set it on some blocks and put a bucket to set a rock on and filled it with water and put him in it. Now he can swim so he's better off. He still don't dry off enough, somethimes there'll be a layer of algae on his shell, but between sheding and occationaly drying off, it's usually not that bad.

DSCF1648.jpg

I'm looking to get him something bigger now, he's grown quite a bit.

DSCF1647.jpg

From a 10gal that he couldn't turn around in and never had water to swim, he sure has it better now. There is no filter so I have to do complete water changes 2 to 3 times a week, but it's easy. I just pull the plug on the bottom and let it drain. There's a hose right nex to it making it easy to spray the inside down and fill it. These pictures are taken right after a water change. You can see the algae growing on the bottom and sides, I let it go, it's natural i figure.

Sorry everyone, after I posted this I noticed I'm in the wrong section, I should have posted this in Invertebrates + Amphibians Forum.
sorry :X

Great story :cool: Thanks for sharing that, I'm sure the turtles are very grateful to you :wub:

thats an awsome story! :nod:

hope the turtle is happy :thumbs:

DD

That's such a lovely story. I bet the turtle is really happy now, he looks it! :wub:

bunjiweb said:
Nice one!

No pics though...?

Ben
There is pix, they might not have showed up for you when you where here, sometimes my server screws up (there working on it) but I'm sure you'll see the pix if you come back to read this, there up now.

Sorrell said:
Great story :cool: Thanks for sharing that, I'm sure the turtles are very grateful to you :wub:
dwarf_dude said:
thats an awsome story! :nod:

hope the turtle is happy :thumbs:
glolite said:
That's such a lovely story. I bet the turtle is really happy now, he looks it! :wub:

I really think that the turtle is happy, it used to run and hide whenever I went near it, now when I go to feed it it swims toward me. If I move to quick his head goes back in the shell, but then comes right back out, but he never runs from me anymore

YOU ARE SUCH A SWEETHEART!

All's well that ends well, just don't let your wife's friends buy any more turtles :grr:

Boggle said:
YOU ARE SUCH A SWEETHEART!

All's well that ends well, just don't let your wife's friends buy any more turtles :grr:
That family is a problem, now they have more turtles, more than one.
They had guinie pigs in their garage, and a mongoose got in and ripped them to shreds.
They had a dog they kept tied up inside, once i noticed it's blanket was soaked with water and maybe some pee, not sure. It died at like 2 years old.
They bought one of those bettas in a vase with that plant, it died after 3 weeks
They had a salamander that starved to death.
They just bought 3 puppies, poor puppies, I wonder whats going to happen to them.

They get an animal to show off, then forget about it and move on to a new one. The old one always gets neglected. It made my wife sick when she found out they had more turtles (me too).

I hate to say this, but you should have to get a license to buy animals, like a drivers license. If you get caught neglecting animals you get points and after so many point you loose your right to have pets. In order to get the license you need to be tested. These people I'm talking about shuld only be lincensed to have pet rocks.

Yes; call someone!! They can be rightfully accused of animal cruelty, which is defined as, "every act, omission, or neglect whereby unnecessary or unjustifiable pain or suffering is caused or permitted."

I also have a turtle rescue story, though not nearly so drastic as yours: my friend found a tiny female Eastern Box turtle in her backyard (shell barely two inches long) and decided to "take her in." She was keeping her a ten gallon with dead grass as a substrate and no heating or UVB lighting (these turtles need UVB--without it, they can't turn calcium into bone and get metabolic bone disease). By the time she figured out that she couldn't care for it, it was too cold to release her again--so, knowing that I take care of a lot of reptiles, fish, amphibians, etc, she gave her to me. I now have her in a 55g terrarium with a heat lamp, UVB lighting, plenty of potting soil/peat moss to burrow down in, plants to give her cover, and green paper taped to all the sides so that she doesn't feel "out in the open" and get spooked. I had trouble getting her to eat at first, but I think the earthworms I gave her just a little while ago hit the spot--I didn't actually see her eat any, but I did find a nice fat turd in her water dish. :rolleyes: Anyway, she's doing quite well now--I hope to release her come spring (cross your fingers, she may be like my frog and get too domesticated to be released).

Here's baby Verena:
77056153.jpg

Most reactions

Back