The Journey To Bringing My Imported Halfmoon Home

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's beautiful! Right up my alley too. I collect Buddha statues. I wonder what those wooden stalk looking things are in the tank in the video...

I think they're bamboo or something,

It's quite a natural looking tank I think.

It's not. But I think if you were to kill it, dry it, boil it and put a weight in the bottom it could work. Never done it before though so don't take this advice as sure fire truth.

That sounds really complicated. I may just invest in some tallish plants and get fake bamboo. Haha.

That's probably what I would've done. :)

Besides, there could be all sorts of yucky things on wall bamboo.

^real bamboo

I started looking on amazon, and I got totally distracted by dog supplies. I'm getting ready for a new puppy too.

I really like the look of wood in a tank. I wish I could just get a thin piece of driftwood, but I'm likely to never find a piece in my price range.

A new puppy? Don't you already have a 2 week old pit bull?

I know of a place where you can get some smaller manzita branches AND the quillwort for a great price.  Go to bamaplants.com, he is a seller on aquabid and I have bought multiple items from him on multiple occasions.  I recommend anything he sells.  

The stalks in that video is dried bamboo I am pretty sure.  I have some for my shrimp but it will eventually have to be replaced because it does degrade -- just slowly.

TallTree01 said:
A new puppy? Don't you already have a 2 week old pit bull?
Not yet. She's reserved for me. I don't get her until May.

And thanks, WildBetta, I'm going to check that out right now!

My tank isn't cycled yet. We are still working on the nitrIte bacteria. However, I have realized that my ammonia was not straight ammonia. It has surfactant in it. In Mississippi, it is impossible to find pure ammonia, as it is used for making meth. So I am unable to legally purchase ammonia in a grocery store or on the Internet. I am now using the fish food method. Hopefully this will feed my bacteria.

On a brighter note, I got my sand the other day. I'm going to start cleaning it tomorrow if I get some homework done, assuming the weather allows. Oh, I got my sister a 29 gal for her birthday. She's thrilled. We have now nine aquariums. We've surpassed MTS and it looks like we are obsessive compulsive fish keepers.

That's a bit of a pain!

The fish food should work, however it will obviously be more difficult to control. You're not able to decide to bring the reading up to say 2ppm by calculating how much you need to dose.

It will still produce ammonia though so your bacteria won't die off. It would still be best to try and get some pure ammonia so you can make sure you have enough bacteria before you add your betta :)

Yesterday I added a generous pinch of flakes (about twice as much as I would give my community tank). Do you think this will suffice? I'll add more today and test the water after a spell, but I'm not sure how much I need to add initially. The only stuff I've been able to find has surfactant in it, so I really don't think I'll have much luck with finding pure ammonia. I'm determined not to do a fish-in cycle.

That will create ammonia but I presume it wouldn't be much and again, you can't control it.

Maybe you could post on a local classifieds and see if anyone else interested in fish keeping could help you get hold of some? I'm from the UK so I don't know much about Craigslist but I've heard almost everything is on there so that could be a good place to look.

I don't know much about US state law either but surely you'll be able to get hold of some somehow. It really is a strange one 
Dunno.gif

It's basically just a cleaning product!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back