The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
The first betta to come into my collection was Delta, a beautiful bright red crowntail. He lives in a five gallon to himself.

Then I got King, who was living in an "efficiency apartment" until I could move a few fish around and put him in my ten gallon.

Shortly after King, I picked up Phoenix (my profile image doesn't do him justice), then Honey, and then Hendrix who lives at the clinic where I work.

Now, to occupy my empty and cycling 6 gallon, is the most magnificent halfmoon I have ever seen.
I bought him on aquabid, here:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwbettashm1364361467

This journal intends to document the process of getting this yet to be named fish (ideas) secure in his new home.

Oh! Checked the ammonia today and it is at zero! We are done with step one of the cycling process! Also picked up some sprigs of mondo grass which will look good, I think, in the tank. Still need to get some sand, though. I have blue gravel in there currently, and I don't think I'm going to like it against my new fish's colors. I'll either get black sand or Tahitian moon.

Wow, that half moon is awesome. Sushi always fits betta fish. Maybe spark would do well.

Pics of his new home?

Just FYI -- mondo grass is not aquatic.  Otherwise...Love that OHM!!  I love coppers because there is so many facets to their color and it all depends on what the lighting is as to what the color is that you see.  I personally have never had a fish shipped in from oversees so this will be interesting to read and follow.

Great looking betta! 
good.gif

Hope he arrives safe :)

Please ignore the mess around the tank. It's getting cleaned up later.
772E10C2-C85A-46C7-A5B1-C6884D0A0CC5-490-0000005019B9386B_zpsf4b7295e.jpg

This one is the aquarium with the "moonlight" on.
159B63C8-858C-4ABD-B27D-9DBD0AA5413B-490-000000500DDBB35C_zps92a77446.jpg

I had no idea mondo grass was not aquatic. After doing a bit of reading, I have found similar conclusions, but also that it is a swamp plant, so it may do well in my Fluval Chi, you know, in the top plant/rock basket thing. Or I could clean up my empty 1.7 tank and make a mini garden. I've planted mondo grass in several aquariums an it has always thrived though, so I always assumed it was fine.

I'm not keeping the gravel in there. I want sand. Not sure if I'm going to keep Pride Rock in there or not.

Oh, TallTree, thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure if those are quite suited my tastes, you know? I'm thinking along the lines of Axle or Ford or Colt or something. I dunno. Sushi is kind of cute though. I'll name one of my fish in the big tank Sushi. Maybe one of the female rams.

Being a swamp plant it is good for emersed set ups where the roots are under water but the leaves are above the water line.  Eventually fully submerged it will rot and foul the tank.  I think moving it to the Fluval Chi would be a better option for it.  If you want grass like plants -- hairgrass is always a good choice or there are several varieties of vallisineria that would work well as well.

I really like the way the hair grass looks. Is it easy to keep? My LFS offers some, but it never looks very nice. I suppose I should remove the grass from the other six gallon too. Thanks for the heads up. I've not been keeping live plants for very long.

Fords an awesome name! My hair grass browned and fell out of its pot 2 weeks after purchase. I think that's cos my lighting consists of a single led. Lol

I have to check the lighting specs on the tank, but I know it is all LED. I think the white light is medium brightness. My original plan was to get lucky bamboo, but it isn't aquatic either, which upsets me.

Is this the fish here?  I linked direct to the video as originally I could not see him! 
rolleyes.gif

Absolute stunner.
I agree that the gravel will not do him justice as it is a bit "in your face" so will distract from his beauty.
I like the name "Colt" that you have thought of, it suits his "stallion" like appearance.
When is he due to arrive with you?

I am sure you know, but when he arrives, turn all the lights out, and darken the room while you open the box so as not to shock him.

Look forward to hearing more.

How about the name "vader"?
I was thinking "malaki" or "Morpheus" for mine :D

Thanks RCA I couldn't see the pic either, but if that's him in the video, certainly a stunner!

Hairgrass can be grown under medium lighting so it should work out fine in your tank.  There is another plant that is similar that is a little less picky is quillwort or commonly known as "octopus plant".  It has to be planted very deep into the substrate (like all the way to the bottom glass is best) for it to stay planted and grow decently but it is a nice looking grassy plant.

The link RCA posted is a video of him. He's magnificent.

The transhipper I'm using is next shipping April 23, which is why I chose this particular guy. That will put my fish on my doorstep on April 25/26. Assuming the nitrIte bacteria takes two weeks to form (ammonia bacteria processed in one week), and then one week of being sure it is cycled, then my tank should be ready by the time he gets here. If it isn't, then I can keep him in a holding tank for a few days.

The quilwort you suggested looks great. I'll see if I can't find some. Thanks.

Morpheus is really great, Shelster. You should definitely name one of your fish Morpheus.

I want a tall decoration that the fish can use when I get him. At first I was thinking a tall piece of driftwood, like a manzanita branch, but those are really expensive on aquabid. I don't think I want to use the rock cave thing that is currently in the tank. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back