The Hobby Of Fish

Most people that want to get fish, or people who don't have fish, think that fish care is very easy. Well, it is, if everything is done PROPERLY. Most people think that you can just get a tank, a filter, an aerator, a heater, some lights and fish, and through them all together and think that the only thing they need to do is add food. :hyper:

They think that they can add whatever kind of fish they want, not caring how many are in a tank, just cramming them in.

They know nothing about the Nitrogen cycle, and when fish die, they just buy more.

Well, the lucky people who stick with it, buying new fish all the time will eventually colonize enough bacteria to process the harmful toxins.

Granted, these people lack the resources that we have here, and are making judgments based on their knowledge of fish, or what they "think" they know of fish.

I just think that the hobby of fish-keeping is SO over-looked and neglected, that people just think that it is so easy to care for fish without taking into account any of the variables.

Obviously, people starting out dont know much, but they listen to their LFS, and they think that they are fine, but in reality they are not.

I have been hearing this a lot lately, not from members on here, but people around the university here, that they think fish-keeping is a joke because it is so easy.

Also, I had a family member get fish as well. She bought a tank and fish, no heater, filter or anything. I told what she needed to do, but she did not listen.

Does anyone agree with me that the hobby of fish-keeping is way over-looked and neglected?

Sorry if this sounds like I am complaining, in a way I guess I am, but in another way i am just stating what people really think of this hobby, and it really makes me sad.

-FHM


fully agreed, FHM

as you know i was one of them "listen to the LFS" suckas, and i tell you now afte going what ive gone through
but if i knew that you had to cycle, study up on fish and what breed for what size tank it would have saved me heaps in cash and headaches.

I disagree on how a LFS just want to make a dollar and not help you properly
it took me 5 LFS to find one who was ligit and he operates out of a country town,
so does that make rednecks better people? i think so, well when it comes to fish, anyway.:lol:

and thanks heaps for everyones help, doesnt mean i wont need more, maybe one day i could give. (dont like to talk crap)

cheers

REWLYN
 
Expecting the LFS employee to give you good advice on fishkeeping is like expecting the checkout girl at the grocery store to tell you how to prepare a gourmet meal. Each one is familiar with the basics of the individual components but neither one is likely to be great at bringing it all together. Trying to blame the LFS for not knowing enough to be a hobbyist is misinterpreting what role they are there to play.
 
100% of what you say is correct IMO.

finding nemo was made to put people off buying wild caught fish, but it did rather the opposite. People think, a bag of table salt and some tap water is okay for clowns or other marine fish :sad:
Exactly!

People just "think" they know everything about fish keeping, and it really makes me upset sometimes.

Especially when they keep going on and on about how easy it is!

"You keep fish, haha, what a lame hobby!"

They know nothing about it, and it really makes me upset!

Glad you agree with me!

-FHM

I get you and BTT confused lol, so sorry before i start. I think it was BTT but may have been you who used to use small fish for fishing in canada? Then got obsesed with keeping them and nw have a large collection and love the hobby.

andrew
 
Expecting the LFS employee to give you good advice on fishkeeping is like expecting the checkout girl at the grocery store to tell you how to prepare a gourmet meal. Each one is familiar with the basics of the individual components but neither one is likely to be great at bringing it all together. Trying to blame the LFS for not knowing enough to be a hobbyist is misinterpreting what role they are there to play.
I am not blaming the LFS employees at all.

I am just saying the "general" people have their own perspective on the hobby of fish, as one of the easiest hobbies, but it really is not.

There is a lot of things that go into keeping fish.

-FHM
 
Wow, jaded crowd here. Maybe my experience is rare, but the few people that I know who keep fish are very well read. They research and research; I'm lazy in comparison. As for others who don't keep fish, well, they don't, so I don't expect them to realize what's involved.
 
It's not the only neglected hobby out there, hunting is also largely neglected, people think its as easy as buying a rifle and setting off to some field in the hope of filling their freezer with free meat.

I dont know many fish keepers, but a mate of mine has had a small tank set up for a few years now and is a typical 'Fish + water = fish-keeping' sort of bloke. Cant say I've ever had any negative responces about fish keeping myself though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top