The Hobby Of Fish

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
Most people that want to get fish, or people who don't have fish, think that fish care is very easy. Well, it is, if everything is done PROPERLY. Most people think that you can just get a tank, a filter, an aerator, a heater, some lights and fish, and through them all together and think that the only thing they need to do is add food. :hyper:

They think that they can add whatever kind of fish they want, not caring how many are in a tank, just cramming them in.

They know nothing about the Nitrogen cycle, and when fish die, they just buy more.

Well, the lucky people who stick with it, buying new fish all the time will eventually colonize enough bacteria to process the harmful toxins.

Granted, these people lack the resources that we have here, and are making judgments based on their knowledge of fish, or what they "think" they know of fish.

I just think that the hobby of fish-keeping is SO over-looked and neglected, that people just think that it is so easy to care for fish without taking into account any of the variables.

Obviously, people starting out dont know much, but they listen to their LFS, and they think that they are fine, but in reality they are not.

I have been hearing this a lot lately, not from members on here, but people around the university here, that they think fish-keeping is a joke because it is so easy.

Also, I had a family member get fish as well. She bought a tank and fish, no heater, filter or anything. I told what she needed to do, but she did not listen.

Does anyone agree with me that the hobby of fish-keeping is way over-looked and neglected?

Sorry if this sounds like I am complaining, in a way I guess I am, but in another way i am just stating what people really think of this hobby, and it really makes me sad.

-FHM
 
100% of what you say is correct IMO.

finding nemo was made to put people off buying wild caught fish, but it did rather the opposite. People think, a bag of table salt and some tap water is okay for clowns or other marine fish :sad:
 
100% of what you say is correct IMO.

finding nemo was made to put people off buying wild caught fish, but it did rather the opposite. People think, a bag of table salt and some tap water is okay for clowns or other marine fish :sad:
Exactly!

People just "think" they know everything about fish keeping, and it really makes me upset sometimes.

Especially when they keep going on and on about how easy it is!

"You keep fish, haha, what a lame hobby!"

They know nothing about it, and it really makes me upset!

Glad you agree with me!

-FHM
 
if anyone laughed at my hobby, i think id be tempted to tap their jaw.. i have only ever had positive reactions to my fish tho, im happy to say.........your right, whats hard about filling a glass bowl and chucking a goldfish in :/

tho these days lots of people use the net and google fish help.. or whatever they google and end up here, where they get fab advice from fab people..

unfortunatly like myself a few fish die first before they get to that google search :(
 
if anyone laughed at my hobby, i think id be tempted to tap their jaw.. i have only ever had positive reactions to my fish tho, im happy to say.........your right, whats hard about filling a glass bowl and chucking a goldfish in :/

tho these days lots of people use the net and google fish help.. or whatever they google and end up here, where they get fab advice from fab people..

unfortunatly like myself a few fish die first before they get to that google search :(
I can honestly say that what you said is what I did.

I had fish, then they started dieing, and then I googled and found this forum.

I just wish there was a way that we can get around this "first" step.

So people don't do the google search.

-FHM
 
i think fish keeping is a very patient hobby and most people that have seen nemo or any other fish films think i no i will go out and spend a small fortune buying a tank and things to get there dreamy tank little did they now the upkeep of a tank or any of the essentials to maintain a good looking tank just amagine how many tanks went to rot after the hype of nemo was over thanks to the film there is proberly hunderds of tanks and fish (poor fish )just going to waste not cared for by people that really enjoy the hobby
 
people may take the mick out of you for spanding loads of money on fish and tanks but then they actually see the tanks and their like WOW!
 
Agree^^

Good point, fish keeping is a VERY patient hobby, especially when cycling a tank.

When people who know nothing about fish, and they hear about cycling and how long it is going to take, I would say 80% of those people decide not to keep fish anymore.

15% of those 20% left decide to go their own way, not cycling the tank.

And the 5% remaining actually go through with a proper cycle.

-FHM

people may take the mick out of you for spanding loads of money on fish and tanks but then they actually see the tanks and their like WOW!
Totally agree!

Especially with heavy planted tanks.

They look so neat!

I have had plenty of people already give me crap for spending money on fish, I am like, "dude, you have no idea what you are talking about."

Then other people just think that all you need to do is feed the fish, and everything should be all good...wrong!

-FHM
 
I love taking care of my fish. Our first tank was for my little boy, bought off ebay fully stocked. Then I wanted one for myself. I was lucky I got a tank filled it with water, filter and heater, put some plants in then a couple of weeks later went crazy and bought loads of fish. I was not told by the shop that it was wrong to put them all in at once, but saying that I was increadibly lucky that I did not loose any. Its not something I have done or will do ever again. I am constantly reading this site and others cramming for as much info as possible and still I can learn more. Fish keeping is not a hobby for me its a lifestyle now with 7 tanks. My fish mean a lot to me, they bring me hours of pleasure and I cry like a baby if I loose one and feel guilty that I may have done something wrong. Non of my set ups are what I would call fantastic, all my tanks are second hand, as is most of my equipment. Most of my tanks have scratches, but I dont notice them only the fish.

What gets my goat is when people say "its just a fish". Take the two rescued pleco's I have, I got them in an awful state, skinny, stringy poo (worms) from filthy conditions. I contacted a very good fish shop who gave me great advice on what medication to give them and I spent the first few nights sitting by the tank praying they would get better. Over the weeks they have got much better. I was suppose to take them to the shop to be re-homed, but as they both now take food from my hands and "kiss" my fingers, how can I? Some friends gave me a leg pulling saying I cant re-home them now as they are kissing me as they love me for rescuing them. Of course they recognise me as the bringer of food, but they chose to make physical contact with me. Not just a fish!
 
people may take the mick out of you for spanding loads of money on fish and tanks but then they actually see the tanks and their like WOW!

I get plenty of this. :rolleyes: I have several friends that think I've lost my mind. They don't care that I enjoy it. I've needed a hobby for quite some time now, and rather than criticize, people should keep their mouths shut if they have nothing nice or worthwhile to say. :angry:
 
I love taking care of my fish. Our first tank was for my little boy, bought off ebay fully stocked. Then I wanted one for myself. I was lucky I got a tank filled it with water, filter and heater, put some plants in then a couple of weeks later went crazy and bought loads of fish. I was not told by the shop that it was wrong to put them all in at once, but saying that I was increadibly lucky that I did not loose any. Its not something I have done or will do ever again. I am constantly reading this site and others cramming for as much info as possible and still I can learn more. Fish keeping is not a hobby for me its a lifestyle now with 7 tanks. My fish mean a lot to me, they bring me hours of pleasure and I cry like a baby if I loose one and feel guilty that I may have done something wrong. Non of my set ups are what I would call fantastic, all my tanks are second hand, as is most of my equipment. Most of my tanks have scratches, but I dont notice them only the fish.

What gets my goat is when people say "its just a fish". Take the two rescued pleco's I have, I got them in an awful state, skinny, stringy poo (worms) from filthy conditions. I contacted a very good fish shop who gave me great advice on what medication to give them and I spent the first few nights sitting by the tank praying they would get better. Over the weeks they have got much better. I was suppose to take them to the shop to be re-homed, but as they both now take food from my hands and "kiss" my fingers, how can I? Some friends gave me a leg pulling saying I cant re-home them now as they are kissing me as they love me for rescuing them. Of course they recognise me as the bringer of food, but they chose to make physical contact with me. Not just a fish!
That is a very neat story!

I know what you mean when people say "it is just fish", really makes me mad!

They have no idea how "just a fish" can have an impact on someones life, and how people who care for fish, find that it is a life style like you said, not just a hobby.

If you took fish out of your life, you would not be able to "go on" because you need them. It just would not feel right to not have fish in your life. I completely understand your point of view on this subject.

-FHM

people may take the mick out of you for spanding loads of money on fish and tanks but then they actually see the tanks and their like WOW!

I get plenty of this. :rolleyes: I have several friends that think I've lost my mind. They don't care that I enjoy it. I've needed a hobby for quite some time now, and rather than criticize, people should keep their mouths shut if they have nothing nice or worthwhile to say. :angry:
Some people just don't respect other people.

They are selfish, and want things only for only themselves.

And when they see the opportunity to make fun of someone, they capitalize on that opportunity.

I agree, if people that have nothing good to say, they should not say anything!

-FHM
 
I would probably go out of my mind (again) if I didnt have my fish (and 4 dogs 4 terrapins and 2 budgies, 2 kids and a hubby lol). The best thing with fish is there is always something going on in the tank. Territories being formed, squabbles, beautiful shoaling displays and breeding displays and the greatest of all new life. I have not had much sucess with breeding (raised 3 Kribs) but today some of my rams have laid eggs. They probably wont survive as its their first batch, but the joy it has brought me seeing fish comfortable enough to attempt to raise young.

There is plenty of evidence in the classified ads of those who though fish keeping was easy. I think I have seen about 8 tanks today with "only 6 months old". Makes me wonder, the time it takes to set up, cycle, add fish etc, how a tank can only be in use 6 months?
 
Humm well people that have tried to keep fish and fail always think my tank is so clean and are like how do you do it. I saw weekly water changes with a gravle vac. They understand it takes work. Yes others just don't get it. I think fish keeping is offten seen as keeping pet fish. But as we all know it becomes an adictive hobby not just pets.

It's like anything really I know nothing of stamp collecting I think it's silly and would mess up mounting stamps. ( my grandfather was into stamps big time). Same thing with birds they are offten seen as boring and stupid. I have had birds all my life they are far from boring and very smart.

So you can say this about lots or stuff. Yes it does get annoying all the people that don't get it. But when you meet other fish people it's like your in a club. You know what I mean?

Us fish people are dorks. But the best kind.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top