The Cutest Fish I Have Ever Seen.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I've been planning ahead for an osphronemus for a while now and I've always been thinking along the lines of a 500 gallon indoor pond. I wouldn't dream of anything smaller than 250 and I know even that eventualy becomes too small. Having said that, o. goramy is not the only large gourami around. O. goramy is the largest but there's o. laticlavius which grows to 20" (as opposed to the 28" of goramy) and o. septemfasciatus (that also gets to 20"). There's another species, o. exodon but that one gets to 24" and looks a little more unusual because of its external teeth. Anyway, my point is, you can get an osphronemus species that stays smaller (ie: the 20" ones) in size and get away with a 200 gallon.

edit: spelling!

A 500g indoor pond with suspended metal hallides to grow lotus and lilys would be fantastic looking in a house. Unless these fish are big plant eaters, then no, but still very pretty idea with or without plants.

silvia:
arent the laticlavius the red tails? if they are, i have seen them commonly grow over 24"
i couldnt find the septemfasciatus species, because i would like to see them

A 500g indoor pond with suspended metal hallides to grow lotus and lilys would be fantastic looking in a house. Unless these fish are big plant eaters, then no, but still very pretty idea with or without plants.

Yup, these guys love greens, they should actually make up the majority of their diets. Any plant will be eaten aside from java moss and similar things.

hmmmm i dont no any thing about this typ of gouramis but i thort gouramis liked to have friends like 2 or 3 gouramis in the same tank dont the O. goramy get Lonely? oh heres a pic on the net i thort looked nice is the info on this page wrong ? it sounds a bit like it maby? :blink: http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Osphronemus_goramy.php

arent the laticlavius the red tails? if they are, i have seen them commonly grow over 24"

Yes they are and you are right - some do grow larger. However, most don't get that big - certainly not 'commonly'.

Septemfasciatus looks pretty much like goramy. Try a google search for pics.

Fizban - most gouramies do fine on their own - particularly males of most species who actualy do better alone. Young osphronemus goramy are, in fact, rather aggressive towards one another. They do eventualy calm down and are peaceful as adults but, like most gouramies, they are still territorial. That's not to say that it wouldn't be nice to be able to keep them in a group - but considering their size, that's just not feasable.

As for the info on that site, the comments can be made by anyone so aren't all particularly accurate. For example, one person said to provide a minnimum of 400 litres (100 gallons) per gourami - that's certainly not enough. Despite that, most of the info. is quite accurate. The fact that they'll eat anything certainly hasn't been exaggerated (though it's not good to feed the gourami 'table scraps'!) and that first comment was particularly interesting to read and informative.

No, it would be best to avoid giving citrus. That applies to most animals actualy - not just gouramies; or fish in general. There are of course some species that are fine with it but citrus fruits tend to contain a lot of acid and that's not normaly good. Plus they can cause issues with water chemistry if you over-do it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back