Thanks for all the help - happy fish pics

I kinda wish I was in Ireland just to go speak to this nutter, see what he says if I claim I want some outlandish fish together in a five gallon tank or something. Then say I want live plants in there, just to hear him claim that might kill my fish... what a loon!

Pretty sure you're already seeing that live plants do the opposite of harming your fish :D

We should form a possé and go other there right now! well.. maybe in a little bit when it's day time.

We should form a possé and go other there right now! well.. maybe in a little bit when it's day time.
While her uncycled tank was crashing and killing her fish, he was still insisting her stocking was fine, and urging her not to buy an anubius "because too many changes could kill your fish".. what a crazy person! It's like he wanted her to fail, I'm still gobsmacked and befuddled, and yet extremely curious about what other pearls of wisdom he might drop!

@AilyNC, if you swing by his store again, please please tell him about all the plants you bought and stuff, and see what he says!

Wow that is dreadful to hear. LFS should know better, but saying that the largest LFS round here is also terrible, I go to a smaller one where a man and his wife runs it, they're friendly have great advice, and if they don't know they'll say they don't or look it up for you.

I'm glad you're getting everything sorted, with the help you'll get here I have no doubt things will look up and you'll get all the help needed if something goes wrong! You'll have to keep us updated too! Can't wait to see more results and pictures!

The LFS in question is an independent shop. So I thought it'd be better than the big chains.

Oh well. I did find a great place to deliver plants though so that's cool :thumbs:

While her uncycled tank was crashing and killing her fish, he was still insisting her stocking was fine, and urging her not to buy an anubius "because too many changes could kill your fish".. what a crazy person! It's like he wanted her to fail, I'm still gobsmacked and befuddled, and yet extremely curious about what other pearls of wisdom he might drop!

What? how does that even begin to make sense? I honestly can't even find words right now. I think it really irks me when he says no plants and suggests that fish list!

I think you should have a browse round for another LFS to be honest, this place seems like trouble.

What? how does that even begin to make sense? I honestly can't even find words right now. I think it really irks me when he says no plants and suggests that fish list!

I think you should have a browse round for another LFS to be honest, this place seems like trouble.

He thought I was changing too much and that was what was killing my fish. Especially my 75% water change. Didn't wanna sell me plants, said floating plants were awful & would wreck the tank. Refuted that cycling was a thing or an issue. Keeps insisting my stock is fine. It's not worth debating it so I'll go elsewhere.

There's one other small fish shop I can try but other than that it's big chain place.

He thought I was changing too much and that was what was killing my fish. Especially my 75% water change. Didn't wanna sell me plants, said floating plants were awful & would wreck the tank. Refuted that cycling was a thing or an issue. Keeps insisting my stock is fine. It's not worth debating it so I'll go elsewhere.

There's one other small fish shop I can try but other than that it's big chain place.

I'm still shocked that an independant store would be like that. Like you I originally presumed most LFS owners had a real passion for fish keeping and would only advise as best as they can. I'm glad you'll be trying the other place out. Information like that is just horrible, it can deter alot of people away when their fish are dying or not happy. I know alot of people are stuck in their ways, my dad keeps insiting that the fish will only grow to the size of the tank. While he's not wrong I just can't get it across to him that it's bad and unhealthy for them. Though that was the fishkeeping in his era (hehe he hates me using era when describing him).

Fish keeping has changed alot (for the better obviously) though I really would expect a LFs owner to know their stuff. I'm sorry that you've had to go through this ordeal.

Last edited:
I'm still shocked that an independant store would be like that. Like you I presumed most LFs owners had a real passion for fish keeping and would only advise as best as they can. I'm glad you'll be trying the other place out. Information like that is just horrible, it can deter alot of people away when their fish are dying or not happy. I know alot of people are stuck in their ways, my dad keeps insiting that the fish will only grow to the size of the tank. While he's not wrong I just can't get it across to him that it's bad. Though that was the fishkeeping in his era (hehe he hates me using era when describing him).

Fish keeping has changed alot (for the better obviously) though I really would expect a LFs owner to know their stuff. I'm sorry that you've had to go through this ordeal.
Your dad sounds exactly like mine, I feel your pain! He hates me doing water changes on his tank, especially large ones, and I had a hell of a time getting into his head that turning the filter off every now and again for a few days "to rest the motor" was not only not needed, but actively harmful, and hadn't he noticed how cloudy the water got when he did that? Urgh, so many ideas stuck in his head from 40 years ago, and he's old and stubborn, lol.

Rant over, sorry! Sounds like you have the same kind of arguments lol

Your dad sounds exactly like mine, I feel your pain! He hates me doing water changes on his tank, especially large ones, and I had a hell of a time getting into his head that turning the filter off every now and again for a few days "to rest the motor" was not only not needed, but actively harmful, and hadn't he noticed how cloudy the water got when he did that? Urgh, so many ideas stuck in his head from 40 years ago, and he's old and stubborn, lol.

Rant over, sorry! Sounds like you have the same kind of arguments lol

They must be brothers seperated at birth, when you was on about the motor, I honestly imagined my dad saying those words, it made me laugh out loud. Thankfully my dad doesn't keep fish anymore, so I don't have to panic everytime I go over lol.

They must be brothers seperated at birth, when you was on about the motor, I honestly imagined my dad saying those words, it made me laugh out loud. Thankfully my dad doesn't keep fish anymore, so I don't have to panic everytime I go over lol.
I've had to move back to my folks last year as they're older now and struggling, and trying to help my dad maintain his long neglected tank is what got me into fish. I started researching to try to fix things in it and do more maintenance since it looked, well, rubbish; and ended up hooked and getting my own tanks. But it also showed me what a horror show his tank was, despite seeming pretty stable most of the time. Toughest fish in the world in there, honestly. Only beasts survive... But has meant I've butted heads with him a lot as I've tried to improve it without making him dig his heels in. Have been battling him this past week since I've needed to medicate the tanks, and do large water changes, so I'm extra frustrated with him right now and needed to vent! I love him to bits, but he's stubborn and driving me bonkers, lol.

I've had to move back to my folks last year as they're older now and struggling, and trying to help my dad maintain his long neglected tank is what got me into fish. I started researching to try to fix things in it and do more maintenance since it looked, well, rubbish; and ended up hooked and getting my own tanks. But it also showed me what a horror show his tank was, despite seeming pretty stable most of the time. Toughest fish in the world in there, honestly. Only beasts survive... But has meant I've butted heads with him a lot as I've tried to improve it without making him dig his heels in. Have been battling him this past week since I've needed to medicate the tanks, and do large water changes, so I'm extra frustrated with him right now and needed to vent! I love him to bits, but he's stubborn and driving me bonkers, lol.

It's nice to hear you're helping them out, thats very kind of you. Thats a nice way to get into fishkeeping in alot of respects, everything is already there, and you're going through the reasons as to why we don't do this or that. I wish I could've started like that! To be honest even though it's bad, it's amazing how hardy fish can become, the need for survival is strong in them. Maybe you should do the water changes at night, and medicate them then as well.

Haha, what are dads for eh? My dad's exactly the same, it can't be helped!

It's nice to hear you're helping them out, thats very kind of you. Thats a nice way to get into fishkeeping in alot of respects, everything is already there, and you're going through the reasons as to why we don't do this or that. I wish I could've started like that! To be honest even though it's bad, it's amazing how hardy fish can become, the need for survival is strong in them. Maybe you should do the water changes at night, and medicate them then as well.

Haha, what are dads for eh? My dad's exactly the same, it can't be helped!
Believe me, I've done plenty of sneaky water changes! I'm like a water changing ninja! "dad, go have a lie down, rest your feet, I'll do some chores, you've earned a rest!" :ninja: water changing ninja - he'll never know! :ninja:

Most reactions

trending

Back