Thank you all!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glofish tetras, I have a few. Warning, they do good in an tropical community aquarium, but if there are any other agressive, sometimes even semi-agressive, they WILL eventually kill them. I have no clue why, because i haven't ever had a problem with the normal X-ray tetras.

I've just noticed that you said you've bought 4 of them. These are shoaling fish which need at least 10 of the same species. There are 2 Glo tetras, I only knew about the skirt tetras until I looked on the GloFish website and found they also do x-ray tetras (aka pristella tetras). The photos of your tank show Glo-skirt tetras, though the photos also also have 'normal' skirt tetras so you probably have enough of this species. But 4 Glo-xrays isn't enough.

You have rasboras, and then the yellow and pink fish below are "Glow" tetras (Hyphessobrycon sp.), not sure which species. And then at the bottom right you have a black widow tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi).

They’re staying with the rasboras because of their need to shoal. You really need more of them so they can form their own shoal.

Going back through posts, this 60 gallon tank has both natural and Glo skirt tetras, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. There appears to be a decent sized shoal of this species with natural and Glo combined.

The ones trying to shoal with the harlequins are, I think, Glo x-ray tetras Pristella maxillaris - the black on the dorsal fins does suggest this, and the GloFish website lists "pristellas" as one of their products. As Ichthys said, having just 4 means they are stressed by there not being enough of them so they are trying to shoal with a different species. There is plenty room in 60 gallons for another half dozen of these fish, and then you will see more normal behaviour. It doesn't have to be 6 Glo x-ryas x-rays, normal x-ray tetras would work just as well.

Edited for typo :blush:

Last edited:
The thing to understand here is that shoaling is a defense mechanism against predators. A fish that's not in a sufficient shoal is living in constant fear of being eaten.

There is no abnormal behaviour
But shoaling with harlequins is abnormal behaviour. As sharkweek explained, they think something has eaten the rest of their shoal so to protect themselves from that predator they have been forced to seek protection with another species, one not even from the same continent. With more of them they would swim only with their own species.

Most species in my tank are in the tetra family. Neon tetras, black skirt tetras, ember tetras, long finned tetras and a variety of the “GloFish” tetras of some of the other tetra species who do well with the “normal” version of their species. I do have zebra and leopard danios and harlequin rasboras. Some varieties of snails ( nerite etc) 3 African grey frogs and a dozen or so ghost shrimp. All are peaceful and I never see any of them attacking eachother. I am heading out now for 3 more regular Pristellas which will bring the total to 7. ( the Glo variety and the “as nature intended “ other tetras are not bothered by the fact that their species are “Glo” or not.) I included some pics of the black skirt babies that have all survived to adulthood. Note their size compared to the small pieces of white gravel and plants. Truly amazing it is happy as nature intended! The heavily planted tank shelters them until they start shoaling with the others. It usually takes about 10 days. Thank you for the information. As always, it is appreciated!
Wait, do you have the frogs in the fish tank with the other fish? I thought the frogs had to be kept separate due to them being a bit slow and not getting to the food fast enough. Plus I thought they needed different water parameters than the fish?
Someone tell me if I'm wrong though.

They need the same water parameters (GH 5 to 20 dH, pH 5 to 7.5, nitrate below 20 ppm), but yes they are best kept on their own. They find their food by smell, and the fish have usually eaten everything by the time the frogs locate where is was. They are also very sensitive to medication, so sick fish can't be treated with frogs in the same tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back