Thai Micro Crab

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I am so excited to say I just saw one of the Thai Micro Crabs, probably the only one left in the tank. I was rearranging a small driftwood pile and there was one micro crab holding on below. Iā€™ve only seen it twice in the past 8 months. I thought they were all gone and it would be safe for me to remove the heater in this mostly shrimp tank now, but Iā€™ll keep the heater in for as long as the micro crab survives. I will say it looks a little larger than when I last saw it. So Iā€™ve had this guy for about 15 months now. I have not done anything special to keep this crab alive. I have not fed it anything special, it survives on the light feeding I give this little 5.5g neocaridina tank. Wow, it made my day.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 8
I am so excited to say I just saw one of the Thai Micro Crabs, probably the only one left in the tank. I was rearranging a small driftwood pile and there was one micro crab holding on below. Iā€™ve only seen it twice in the past 8 months. I thought they were all gone and it would be safe for me to remove the heater in this mostly shrimp tank now, but Iā€™ll keep the heater in for as long as the micro crab survives. I will say it looks a little larger than when I last saw it. So Iā€™ve had this guy for about 15 months now. I have not done anything special to keep this crab alive. I have not fed it anything special, it survives on the light feeding I give this little 5.5g neocaridina tank. Wow, it made my day.
That is so cool !

I do think this is the last crab in the tank. Iā€™m considering getting him another batch of friends now. It must have been quite young when I acquired him about 16 months ago. It must be near the end of its life as I was told they only live a couple of years. This crab survived the shrimp aquarium with the scuds. Now that Iā€™ve almost rid the tank of scuds, theyā€™re still in there Iā€™m sure, but I am always collecting them. Right now Iā€™ve got a cup with 74 scuds (yes, Iā€™m counting as I pull them out). I wouldnā€™t be surprised that the scuds were snacking on the molted crabs too. I believe the crabs have a better chance of survival and an opportunity to thrive now that the scuds are being eliminated.

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpeg
    IMG_1997.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 3

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back