Tetratec External Filter Floss Alternative

Creature Seeker

Fish Crazy
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
270
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
GB
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew about any cheap alternatives to the Tertratec External Filter Floss.

I seem to be always buying more of the filter floos pads, and they arn't cheap!

Thanks!

Sam
 
I'm sure I've read about people using cotton wool.

I'd wait for someone to confirm this before sticking a load in your filter lol but I'm positive I've read that it can be used as a cheap alternative.

Andy
 
Not cotton wool, but you can use the material used to stuff cushion, teddy bears etc, so long as it hasnt be coated in the flame retardent stuff. Usually found in places like Haberdashery shops.
 
second what minx said.. ive used it in the past it so much cheaper i paid a pound for about half a bin bag full-- carefull on the retardent side tho!
 
Thanks everyone. I've now ordered some pond floss from ebay!

Is there anything else I can add to my filter to make the water crystal clear?
 
Thanks everyone. I've now ordered some pond floss from ebay!
Wise. Chemicals used to treat things like cushion stuffing might not be aquarium safe.
Is there anything else I can add to my filter to make the water crystal clear?
A bigger filter. Without question, silty water is more likely to be cause by inadequate mechanical filtration than anything else. As mechanical media clogs up, water flow drops. If you find water flow drops significantly within a week of cleaning the filter, chances are the mechanical media is clogged, and your filter is underpowered for the task at hand.

Cheers, Neale
 
I bought a large sheet of pond filter floss from my local aquatic store for about a tenner. I find it easier to handle as it is in a sheet, and I jjust cut a square out to fit my filter whenever I need to. It's a lot thicker and much better than the original stuff, works out a lot cheaper, and I've still got loads left - lol
 
Not cotton wool, but you can use the material used to stuff cushion, teddy bears etc, so long as it hasnt be coated in the flame retardent stuff. Usually found in places like Haberdashery shops.

Seems I was wrong :P

I knew I had read something along these lines lol, I realise now it was the stuffing I had read about, but for some reason had cotton wool in my head, in more ways than one :D

Andy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top