Tetras Water?

Nikki77D

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone! so I have a quick question, I have 2 red and 2 black tetras and I was wondering if they prefer brackish or fresh water? also I am just gunna add the smallest tetra always hides in the corner during the day but when i turn the lights on in the morning he is out then he goes right back to the corner??? Thats kinda off topic but if anyone has any answers they are very appreciated!

As far as I know, most characins (tetras, headstanders, hatchetfish etc.) prefer freshwater. 

For your other question, I believe the problem is that you have too little tetras. They are schooling fish and will feel most secure when in numbers. Both species should be in schools of at least 6. But more is better. 

How big is your tank? And are there any other fish in it besides the tetras?

I had some balloon mollys but they didn't make it since my tank is still cycling. But all the tetras seem to be schooling together really well, only the little one isn't. And my tank is. A 10 gal, so I'm scared to overcrowd

The smaller tetra may be stressed out from the fish-in cycle, or it could be getting bullied by the other tetras. 

Is there any sign of bullying of the smaller tetra from other fish? (Chasing, Nipping, etc.)

What are your water stats? High ammonia and nitrite can cause stress in the fish.

I haven't even noticed any bullying, but maybe I'm just missing it. He looks fine though,so that's why I'm confused. The water is too high in nitrite right now. Poor little guy, should I keep him or maybe return him and get a bigger one? I would hate his life to be lived in a corner

Why not return them all and do a fishLESS cycle? Just a thought.

Adding salt NaCl will help with detoxify Nitrites. Also a good water conditioner like Prime will also detoxify Nitrites.

Instead of returning them you could buy a bottle of Tetra Safestart and use it to instantly cycle the tank.

I have never heard of tetra safe start. What exactly is it?

Bacteria in a bottle. Someone from a another forum I frequent carried out a test to see if it worked and it did.  I have no idea if other 'bacteria in a bottle' products do as they claim or not.

You could also check with any friends who keep fish or even your LFS to see if they could donate some mature filter media. If you add it to your filter it will cycle it almost immediately.

I don't have anyone to give me mature filter equipment. But I looked into the tetra safestart and I would love to try that. Does anyone know where to get it online? I phoned all the pet and aquarium places here and no one has it. I'm in canada so any places that will ship to here?

Have you tried Amazon? That's where I get most of my supplies.

And you're not looking for filter equipment ... just the mature filter media. If you have a friend with a large tank they just need to pull off some of their filter media that you can then put in your filter to seed the bacteria. It cuts down or even eliminates the cycling time.

Ya I will try amazon to get that tetra stuff but no I don't know anyone with a tank. But thanks for the advise!

Just make sure that you get the right bottle because they obviously sell loads of products and some of them have similar names

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back