Tetra fat or Pregnant?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Emilee Maphui

Reaction score
I have a 5.5 gallon with four tetras to start, a mystery snail, I think its a pond snail, and a cat fish which i believe is a Cory. I also have one Live plant. I previously has problems starting a tetra school, but they had all died. I also had a gourami that died this morning. All the sudden I realized that this glowlight tetra had a big stomach. I have had problems with one hogging food, but I canā€™t tell which is which yet. I also have problems Identifying the gender. I am either worried he has hogged all the food or is pregnant if it is a female, and I was hoping for some help. 3C51C4DB-7173-4FF2-9E45-79CC91030A12.jpeg

These fish do not get pregnant as they are not livebearers, if you look at the fish from the top and her scales stick out like a pinecone then she probably has bloat, and there isnā€™t much you can do. If it isnā€™t like a pinecone then she is either loaded up with eggs or fat. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you have something going on thatā€™s causing the deaths and illnesses of these fish. Few questions-

1. Temperature
2. Parameters
3. Do you use a liquid test kit
4. How often and how do you preform waterchanges
5. Do you use dechlorinator
6. Is it cycled
7. Any other symptoms
8. Other species and other inhabitants
9. What do you feed and how much

You also have some stocking issues which is likely causing added stress upon these fish.

As for whatā€™s wrong with this individual, it looks like bloating. Doesnā€™t look like eggs or being eggbound to me. If heā€™s pineconing then that means he has dropsy which will need to be harshly treated or euthanasia.

Iā€™d suggest starting with fasting for 2 days and feeding a pea or daphnia on the 3rd. Do this twice and if nothing improves its time to consider Epsom salt baths and the like.

I have a 5.5 gallon with four tetras to start, a mystery snail, I think its a pond snail, and a cat fish which i believe is a Cory. I also have one Live plant. I previously has problems starting a tetra school, but they had all died. I also had a gourami that died this morning. All the sudden I realized that this glowlight tetra had a big stomach. I have had problems with one hogging food, but I canā€™t tell which is which yet. I also have problems Identifying the gender. I am either worried he has hogged all the food or is pregnant if it is a female, and I was hoping for some help. View attachment 89915
Your tank is also overstocked seriously. All you can have in a 5.5 would be either a betta or some Sparkling Gouramis (-1-2).

It just looks fat to me but check the scales to see if they are sticking out from the body, as mentioned by Ryan_F.

Do not add any more fish.

If the tank is less than 2 months old you should reduce feeding to 2-3 times per week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding.

You should try to get the water tested regularly for ammonia and nitrite and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate if you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0.

Most reactions

trending

Back