Testing The Ph Levels ... After Fixing A Problem.

piranha_tim

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
412
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Testing the PH Levels ... After fixing a problem.

For PH ...

I have a 8.4Ph Reading.

I have confirmed the test kit works by using it on all my other tanks which test at a 7.6Ph.

This morning ... I have removed everything BUT the substrate (Hagen Geo System which is under suspicion) and fake plants.

I did have a rock display.

I am at work the tank will sit like this for 8 hours.

Now my question.

To Test removing these items resolved the problem.

Do I just test again?
Or is the test to change the water and test it stays at 7.6?

I.E. Can Ph just drop without the source of buffering and not changing the water?
 
I.E. Can Ph just drop without the source of buffering and not changing the water?

Depends on the actually hardiness of the water.

From what I read you have a 8.4ph reading and what to get it down anda re removing the rocks to check this. IMO I would of changed all the water with the rocks out of the water, let it sit then test after 8 hours. As the rocks may have hardened up your water I doubt it is going to fall by itself.
 
Thank you ... I will change the water tonight ...


or if ur testing if the PH is changing the rock then you could get two buckets, fill both up, put the rock in one and leave the other with just water. Sit for a few hours then test the Ph
 
post pics and we'll try to help figure it out :)

scrub them off w/a clean scrubber if they are full of algea...we have to be able to see them :)
 
I got them from the fish store ... I am told by alot of users of Hagen Geo System Substrate this has been a cause of it ... But I would like to narrow it down.

How long should I wait after refreshing the water to take readings again?

post pics and we'll try to help figure it out :)

scrub them off w/a clean scrubber if they are full of algea...we have to be able to see them :)

Ok i will do that tonight.
 
depending on how much you change it could start to drop or there still could be a buffer in it that could last a lil bit :huh:
 
Well Ok ...

Test the water to confirm is still at 8.4

I will do a 50% water change.

Wait 3 hours.

If the water sits less then 8.4 then will be considered a semi pass.

Will do this for 3 days and hope for the best for the fish in this fluctuations.
 
Well Ok ...

Test the water to confirm is still at 8.4

I will do a 50% water change.

Wait 3 hours.

If the water sits less then 8.4 then will be considered a semi pass.

Will do this for 3 days and hope for the best for the fish in this fluctuations.

I wouldnt do it if you have fish in the tank, PH fluctuations can seriously harm/kill the fish. I would opt for the bucket method I mentioned above :good:
 
Well Ok ...

Test the water to confirm is still at 8.4

I will do a 50% water change.

Wait 3 hours.

If the water sits less then 8.4 then will be considered a semi pass.

Will do this for 3 days and hope for the best for the fish in this fluctuations.

I wouldnt do it if you have fish in the tank, PH fluctuations can seriously harm/kill the fish. I would opt for the bucket method I mentioned above :good:

So here is my problem ... the fish tank is due for a water change ... what position does this leave me in?
 
Well Ok ...

Test the water to confirm is still at 8.4

I will do a 50% water change.

Wait 3 hours.

If the water sits less then 8.4 then will be considered a semi pass.

Will do this for 3 days and hope for the best for the fish in this fluctuations.

I wouldnt do it if you have fish in the tank, PH fluctuations can seriously harm/kill the fish. I would opt for the bucket method I mentioned above :good:

So here is my problem ... the fish tank is due for a water change ... what position does this leave me in?

Leave everything in the tank, do the water change then work out what is the PH issue, what fish are we talking about?
 
Well Ok ...

Test the water to confirm is still at 8.4

I will do a 50% water change.

Wait 3 hours.

If the water sits less then 8.4 then will be considered a semi pass.

Will do this for 3 days and hope for the best for the fish in this fluctuations.

I wouldnt do it if you have fish in the tank, PH fluctuations can seriously harm/kill the fish. I would opt for the bucket method I mentioned above :good:

So here is my problem ... the fish tank is due for a water change ... what position does this leave me in?

Leave everything in the tank, do the water change then work out what is the PH issue, what fish are we talking about?

Guppies ... Basically I have transfered media ... And I had some guppies I put them in the tank to test it could properly support life as a double check before I put the puffer in the tank.
 
Well Ok ...

Test the water to confirm is still at 8.4

I will do a 50% water change.

Wait 3 hours.

If the water sits less then 8.4 then will be considered a semi pass.

Will do this for 3 days and hope for the best for the fish in this fluctuations.

I wouldnt do it if you have fish in the tank, PH fluctuations can seriously harm/kill the fish. I would opt for the bucket method I mentioned above :good:

So here is my problem ... the fish tank is due for a water change ... what position does this leave me in?

Leave everything in the tank, do the water change then work out what is the PH issue, what fish are we talking about?

Guppies ... Basically I have transfered media ... And I had some guppies I put them in the tank to test it could properly support life as a double check before I put the puffer in the tank.

What Puffer, as alot of puffers will like the high PH
 

Most reactions

Back
Top