test kits

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hagen / Nutrafin. That's what I use.

Some people don't like them though, because if the test reads 0, nothing happens to the water (it stays clear), which means you can't tell if you do something wrong.

Other test kits change even if the reading is 0, so you know you've done it right.

I've only ever used Hagen / Nutrafin kits, so I can't comment on the others.

I'm lucky - I have a Pet Store and LFS very close to home, so I use the excuse of "Testing my Water" once a week to browse their new stock. ;) Usually I can get away walking out with a new fish. :)

I have the Mardel strips too. I bought the 5-in-1 and the Ammonia ones. Easy to use as I've just started having a need to test water.

Becca said:
I'm lucky - I have a Pet Store and LFS very close to home, so I use the excuse of "Testing my Water" once a week to browse their new stock. ;) Usually I can get away walking out with a new fish. :)
I can't in good faith rely on someone else testing my water. I personally like the ability to test whenever I feel like it and as frequently as needed(like when setting up a new tank) etc etc. When you calculate what you've spent in fish, tanks, filters etc etc the 20-30 bux that a complete test kit will cost you it's trivial.

And with that I reccomend the purchase of either an aquarium pharmaceuticals Liquid master test kit. or the Red Sea Master Lab(the red sea is roughly 40 dollars but worth it since it covers the entire spectrum)

I can't in good faith rely on someone else testing my water. I personally like the ability to test whenever I feel like it and as frequently as needed(like when setting up a new tank) etc etc. When you calculate what you've spent in fish, tanks, filters etc etc the 20-30 bux that a complete test kit will cost you it's trivial.
I normally can't either. But since I look over the guys shoulders the entire time, I a lot more confident about it than I normally would be. I do plan to get my own test kit (I have an ammonia one already) but I want the test strips, not the test tubes and none o fthe stores around here carry those - I'll have to order them online. It's my next purchase for my tank. :)

In the mean time, the guy at the LFS I normally shop at is pretty good and the only thing that he does without my assistance is dipping the strips in the water. We read everything off together, so I know what my readings are, I'm not just going by "oh the guy said it's 0.25...".

But I can definitely see where you're coming from!

I agree with Sky. The AP Master kit is a very good product, at a good price, for a beginner.

Get a Master kit, and if you don't like a particular test in it, get an individual one of a different brand, would be my suggestion.

AP Master Kit - noted. Thanks. :) I've been hunting down test strips from stores and none seem to carry them. To get together a full test kit - I'd be looking at about $40, and since I don't have a lot of cash flowing in that I can just spend on tests, I figure since I know and trust teh one guy at my LFS and I can see the readings as he's taking them, I can deal with it on a temporary basis.

I'll note the AP Master Kit and see if any of my local pet stores carry them. Is this their full name?

Most reactions

Back