Ten Gallon Shrimp Tank Advice

DrKebab

New Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So i was thinking of making a 10 gallon shrimp tank and here is what I'm planning to do

10 gal tank
play sand substrate
this filter
java moss/fern/etc. (need advice on plants!)
heater

and for the shrimp

ghost shrimp/or cherry shrimp (if LFS ever stocks them again)
bamboo shrimp
and a couple of otocinclus


any advice wud be appreciated, thats why i come to this forum! :-D
 
Good info for a shrimp newbie

Everything sounds good.

I would go for mostly moss and other slow-growing plants. They'll harbor a lot of life that the baby shrimp will feed on.

You may need to target feed the bamboo shrimp, as this tank is small and won't harbor enough free-floating foods for them. Just crush up some flake food and place it in the current where they are. Or you can spray it at them with a turkey baster.

I also suggest getting snails, because they keep the glass and such clean. Makes it easier to care for the tank. :P

EDIT: That filter might suck up baby shrimp. I would get a HOB filter and stick a sponge over the intake instead.
 
thanks for the help =) and i what could i do about snail reproduction? are there anyones that are not as bad?
 
Because this is a new tank, there won't be any built up organic material, so you won't get a population explosion. The whole 'snails are pests' things is really just rubbish, if you don't overfeed they won't reach huge numbers. :good:

I suggest getting trumpet snails(keep mixing the substrate) and ramshorns(eat algae and detritus). They make nice additions to a tank. There's a pinned topic in the invert section about the different snails, so you should check it out.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top