Temperature for dwarf gourami and danios

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mooky9669

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got a JW Fusion Smart Temp Aquarium Thermometer and a Eheim jager trutemp submersible heater 75w for my 20 gallon high tank. Have heater on 76. Thermometer has shown 81 since I put it in and that was before I plugged heater in. Thermometer works fine outside the tank. I put it on my fridge and the temp dropped like it should. Been stuck on 81 all day and just checked it this morning It still shows 81. Is the thermometer not working right?? What do I do?

Last edited:
I got a digital thermometer this morning from Petco and it was reading 80 degrees. I did the old ice packs in the tank trick and let it cool off the tank 3 degrees. It was 77.2 last time I checked. I have a few zebra danios, 1 male red flame dwarf gourami and 6 corys in my 20 gallon high tank. Just got the male gourami a few days ago to replace the female that died the other day. I had her for several months if not longer. Wanting the temp to be 75 or 76. My heater I got yesterday is the Eheim jager trutemp. I recalibrated it again when the temp showed 77.2 I set it to about 75, 76. Will check tank later to see the temp readings.

Many heaters, even reliable brands like the Jager (I have one or two of these myself) are not exact with respect to the temperature setting. I had to turn my heater down to 71F to have it keep the tank around 76F. If you have reliable thermometers, they will tell you the water temp, so lower the heater setting and find where it needs to be.

Thanks. Right now my digital and fusion thermometer show 76..the fish are just as happy as ever. It fluctuates between 75 and 76. If I have to, I'll turn heater down a tad. Shouldn't have to recalibrate it I think.

If you feel like messing with it there is a way to calibrate the Eheim jager heater.

I am not sure what type of Danioes and corys you have. You need to check temp for all your fish species and make sure they are temperature compatible. Common Danioes need cooler water than dwarf gourami. If you have pepper corys these also need lower temps than dwarf gourami. If you have albino corys then you would be ok at the same temp as the gourami.

Here is a link to my old Fresh Water Fish Temperature chart that I made years ago to help me, you can also download the excel version if you like. Link

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back