Tell Me about AmericanFlagFish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Iā€™ve been reading on the American FlagFish and considering getting some. Could 2 pairs live in a 29G? My water parameters seem to be suitable for them. Has anyone ever had any? Can you tell me your experience with them?

Ive never kept them myself but have thought about it. I heard that they can get aggresive and their great at eating algae. They like driftwood and live plants in the tank and if you have a dark substrate you get better colours and they love live food after that i dont know much.

Are you talking about the Florida Flagfish, Jordanella floridae ? These are a pupfish somewhat related to Killifish. Two pair in your 29 should be good but maybe a trio of one male and two females would be better. Did you also know Madame' that Texas is home to at least two rivulin species of Killies. I may be wrong on that nomenclature but perhaps Colin could be of help here. Get those Flagfish if you can.

Thanks! Yes, I am referring to the Florida American Flagfish. Still reading on them but really like them. I read they are aggressive but usually OK with their own breed. One male would probably be better but the males have the amazing color. Iā€™d really like to have at least a couple of males but donā€™t want them attacking each other. Would 3 females and 2 males be too many in the 29G? Would that help in reducing the males aggression? I would be putting lots of plants in.

Seriously Fish has a profile on this species, Joreanella floridae, and there are some very instructive comments posted by various members below the profile that I would recommend. Some have links to ichthyological articles on the behaviour and spawning. Given the conflicting "common held" thinking it would be advisable to peruse these.

For example, a 29g is sufficient for one pair, and more requires a larger tank.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/jordanella-floridae/

image.jpg
Thanks! Yes, I am referring to the Florida American Flagfish. Still reading on them but really like them. I read they are aggressive but usually OK with their own breed. One male would probably be better but the males have the amazing color. Iā€™d really like to have at least a couple of males but donā€™t want them attacking each other. Would 3 females and 2 males be too many in the 29G? Would that help in reducing the males aggression? I would be putting lots of plants in.
Just so it happens I just now saw a video on the American Killifish Association Facebook page. It showed a tank, can't say exactly how big but big, with at least a dozen American Florida Flagfish cavorting playfully. They are cool Madame'. They would complement your Goldfish hobby well. They can be kept outdoors in ponds too. These are right up your alley. And here is a picture I found of a native Texan. Fundulus zebrinus.

Time for a commercial break (for a bit of levity)

American Flag Fish

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic:

View attachment 94544
Just so it happens I just now saw a video on the American Killifish Association Facebook page. It showed a tank, can't say exactly how big but big, with at least a dozen American Florida Flagfish cavorting playfully. They are cool Madame'. They would complement your Goldfish hobby well. They can be kept outdoors in ponds too. These are right up your alley. And here is a picture I found of a native Texan. Fundulus zebrinus.
Thanks so much! You mean they would compliment my goldfish,bettas, platies, plecos, Golden White Clouds, Cherry barbs, leopard danios, neon Tetras ,glolight tetras, guppies, green neon Tetras ( I think thatā€™s all) Hobby? I actually only have 2 goldfish tanks. The other 6 are all freshwater tropical. Oh,forgot my Shrimp tank (sorry babies). HOWEVER, goldfish are my favorite. These Florida flagfish are really beautiful though and growing on me. That empty 29G is just driving me nuts. I spoke with one supplier who has me on a list. These little fish are hard to find in high quality. I want the flag to really stand out. Gotta do a LOT more research before moving forward.

Seriously Fish has a profile on this species, Joreanella floridae, and there are some very instructive comments posted by various members below the profile that I would recommend. Some have links to ichthyological articles on the behaviour and spawning. Given the conflicting "common held" thinking it would be advisable to peruse these.

For example, a 29g is sufficient for one pair, and more requires a larger tank.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/jordanella-floridae/
Thank you so much for this info!

Iā€™m sitting here right now waiting for HIM to finish cooking dinner. He like to cook more than me. I cleaned the house all sparkly and clean.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back