Tattooed Fish/glo Fish

Should GloFish be banned?

  • Yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

    Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Unsure

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    1
I don't think so, just like with humans once you tattoo heals you shouldn't have any after affects. I do agree that they need to be banned, I can't understand why anyone would think it's "cool".

But fish are not humans... and don't the fish that get tattoed have a shorter life span? IMO its because they have so mutch pain, they just cant take it.

I don't think fish are traumatized in an emotional sense, I mean don't get me wrong what is done to them is horribly cruel and they certainly feel pain, but as you said fish are not humans and everything I've read and observed leads me to believe they don't process emotional trauma as we do. I think the shortened life span could be a result of any infection incurred during the tattoo process. And the fact that no self-respecting fish keeper would ever purchase a tattooed fish, so these are going to inexperienced people who want a living piece of "art", so a high number of deaths could be contributed to lack of proper care.
 
When it comes to dyed or tattooed fish, I would like to see the perpetrators of the abomination punished but the fish have already suffered enough. Why turn around and kill them. I refuse to buy any such fish, it just encourages these monsters to continue to mistreat fish, but I would be willing to have some live out their short lives in my tanks if they closed down a shop for selling them.
 
I think it's disgusting and absolutely should be banned and i applaud you for approaching your legislators about the issue. And even if the glo light fish aren't subjected to pain, i still think it's stupid. Why not enjoy fish for their natural beauty?
 
I don't think so, just like with humans once you tattoo heals you shouldn't have any after affects. I do agree that they need to be banned, I can't understand why anyone would think it's "cool".

But fish are not humans... and don't the fish that get tattoed have a shorter life span? IMO its because they have so mutch pain, they just cant take it.

I don't think fish are traumatized in an emotional sense, I mean don't get me wrong what is done to them is horribly cruel and they certainly feel pain, but as you said fish are not humans and everything I've read and observed leads me to believe they don't process emotional trauma as we do. I think the shortened life span could be a result of any infection incurred during the tattoo process. And the fact that no self-respecting fish keeper would ever purchase a tattooed fish, so these are going to inexperienced people who want a living piece of "art", so a high number of deaths could be contributed to lack of proper care.

Yes i think your right... inexperianced fish kepers that will put them in a small 3-gallon tank. and becuse ,IMO, a fishes ammune system is not better than ours, and they might get internal (or external) infections from tattoing the fish.

~~~~

I think it's disgusting and absolutely should be banned and i applaud you for approaching your legislators about the issue. And even if the glo light fish aren't subjected to pain, i still think it's stupid. Why not enjoy fish for their natural beauty?

I got this from the GloFish website...this is why they were created in the first place...

Where do GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish come from?
GloFish® fluorescent zebrafish were originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants. By adding a natural fluorescence gene to the fish, scientists hoped to one day quickly and easily determine when a waterway is contaminated. The first step in developing a pollution-detecting fish was to create fish that would be fluorescent all the time. Scientists soon realized the public's interest in sharing the benefits of this research, a process which lead to GloFish® fluorescent fish.

So they help the planet, and give us beautiful fish in our tanks! ;)
 
I agree with everyone else on the tattooed/dyed fish. The practice should be outlawed but as long as people keep buying them, they will keep doing it. Not only will I not buy them, I won't buy anything in store that sells them as I don't even want to support the store. The ones already sold should be allowed to live on as it's not like they belonged to a gang and went out and got tattooed or dyed. Certainly not their fault.

As for Glofish, they are indeed genetically engineered as has been stated. Some may have a problem with that too but that's another story altogether.

Edit: As for what to do with confiscated fish, they could easily be donated to a local school or aquarium. Most every state in the US has some type public aquarium that they could be given to. Not sure about the UK though.
 
Does anybody know the death rate of tattooed/dyed fish? I will have a draft copy posted when I find this out.
 
Does anybody know the death rate of tattooed/dyed fish? I will have a draft copy posted when I find this out.

This might help: (from yahoo!answers)
The mortality rate is over 80% when the fish are colored artificially, by tattooing or dyeing.

and dont ask to ban glofish, they r cool! :good:
 
The mortality rate is over 80% when the fish are colored artificially, by tattooing or dyeing.

Ok, that's a start. Can anybody verify? Or have other statistics?

I've done some searching and cannot find any reputable sources for the tattooed fish mortality rate. The 80% figure that hihi found I tracked down to one of the animal rights activists, unfortunately many of them are know to inflate their figures. :sly:

In order for your representative to take you seriously you'll need some sort of reputable source most likely from the scientific community and I don't think any studies have been done on it. :no: If you can't find a source I would simply state that you are concerned that the tattooing process will lead to a high mortality rate and that more research needs to be done before this process is allowed to continue.
 
Ok, thanks dthoffsett.

Also I updated it to include companies that sell online.

But what gets me still is what to do with them. I put three idea what the LFS should do: 1) Be returned to the Manufacture. 2) Be kept at the store which purchased them, until they die. 3) Be given to someone who wishes to take care of them. They must not be sold. No "Take care of this fish" fee is to be imposed either.

But keeping them at the store may cause people to complain which may lead to an unnessacary police raid. Not unless there was a sign saying "These fish cannot be sold because of the new law. If you wish to take care of them, you can. They are free." Something along those lines.

Any other suggestions?
 
Ok, thanks dthoffsett.

Also I updated it to include companies that sell online.

But what gets me still is what to do with them. I put three idea what the LFS should do: 1) Be returned to the Manufacture. 2) Be kept at the store which purchased them, until they die. 3) Be given to someone who wishes to take care of them. They must not be sold. No "Take care of this fish" fee is to be imposed either.
But keeping them at the store may cause people to complain which may lead to an unnessacary police raid. Not unless there was a sign saying "These fish cannot be sold because of the new law. If you wish to take care of them, you can. They are free." Something along those lines.
Any other suggestions?

I dont think they should just give them away, inexperianced ppls will take them and put them in goldfish bowls. there should be a backround check or somthing.

i like #2
 
:no: :no: :no:

vybczb.jpg

tattooed_fish.jpg

r417487_1980227.jpg
 
when you see pictures like this is makes you think, ###### i wish those pictures were photoshopped
 
Oh and I also added something about Betta can't be in a cup and must have atleast 1/2 gallon of water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top