Tap Water

Marco84

New Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Gloucester
I noticed the water pH in my tank is always 8.5, I thought because it was only a couple a weeks old. Then the idea popped into my head to test the tap water (Yes I am blond :blush: ) and it was 8.5 also! On my testing kit it says 8.5 Suitable for marines and alkaline water fish species. I have tropical fish not marines. I tested the water in my brita water filter and it was 7.0. Do I have to very slowly fill my fish tank back up with my filter? I am not too keen of adding chemicals in the water. Any Ideas or thoughts please?
 
As long as you fish are acclimated to that pH you should be fine. My brother has a pair of rams in a tank that has a pH of 8.2 and they get along fine, so I know it can be done!
 
Welcome to my water! My water is a pH of 8.5 also! If I am trying to breed fish like angelfish, I use rainwater ( I'm trying this as we speak). I also use Jungle Lab's pH down. It lowers the pH. It seems to be working pretty well. What kind of fish are you keeping/ planning on keeping?
 
I have 7x Minnows they like water 6.5-7.5

6x endlers don't know what they like

4x lampeyes they like water 6.5-7.5

3x guppies they like water 6.5-7.5

1x Dwarf Gourami they like water 6.0-7.5

3x loaches don't know what they like


So idealy I don't need any alkaline in the water 7.0-7.5 but they put so many chemicals in the water here I have alkalined water.
 
I would leave it as such. Don't use any chemical's. If you want try rain water, our rainwater here ( Peoria, IL ) has a pH lower than 6.0 and I use it for water changes when I can. But, your fish should do fine. They are most likely accustomed to that water anyway.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top