Tankmates in tall 40g: Black Tetra and Julii Cories

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rookiefishguy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Pretty new to the fish hobby. Got my hands on a tall 40g tank that I've had running for the last few months and has been running really well (hope I didn't jinx it).
Details:
Sand substrate
Live plants and non live tall plants (fake driftwood as well)
Pretty high water flow coming from a powerhead 802 system that sits at the top

Currently I have 4 black Tetras and 5 julii Cories. they all get along well and seem to be thriving in the tank and actually enjoy swimming in the high flow areas more than the non-high flow areas. I'm at the point where I'm looking to add additional fish and I'm trying to avoid making any newbie mistakes. I'm looking to find what other kind of fish would mesh well in this group with a tall tank that has high flow of water as well.

I was hoping to get an angelfish in there but everything I read about them and black tetras/high flow of water was "try at your own risk" so I've ruled them out. Any recommendations at all are welcome!

Increase your cories, a huge shoal will be much loved by them. And more black tetras, which ones are you talking about exactly?
Black neons or black skirts? Or black phantoms?

As a centerpiece fish, why not a bolivian ram cichlid?
Not German blue ram though, your fish you have now need cooler water temperatures.

But also, what is your GH?

GH is around the 50-75 range, probably should have mentioned that earlier.

Also i meant black skirt tetras. I'd prefer to try something other than tetras but very much on board with getting more cories.

also in regards to the cichlids, i heard those too are a bit temperamental with other fish, not sure if that's just one of those rumors though.

Increase the skirts to at least 6 before considering others. Skirts need 6 or more or they will terrorize each other to death. They are among the more finicky tetras when it comes to aggressive behaviors and keeping them in schools less than 6 tends to bring out that behavior a lot.

So minimum 6! With your Gh you got quite a nice array of choices.

I keep my skirts with cherry barbs and they get on nice, or you could go with a group of neon tetras or similar, but remember 6 of schooling species minimum!

I appreciate the advice! i'll definitely look to add some more as they tend to get a bit into each others business during feeding time lol

i just worry about over crowding the tank if I try to add another schooling species so the Bolivian Ram as a center piece fish did pique my interest

You could do a large school of skirts, a Bolivian ram, and the cories easy.

Max for this:
8-10 skirt tetras
1-2 Bolivian rams
20 corydoras

OR

8 skirt tetras
8 of another schooler
1-2 Bolivian rams
10-15 corydoras

GH is around the 50-75 range, probably should have mentioned that earlier.

Also i meant black skirt tetras. I'd prefer to try something other than tetras but very much on board with getting more cories.

also in regards to the cichlids, i heard those too are a bit temperamental with other fish, not sure if that's just one of those rumors though.
Bolivian Ram are solitary fish except when mating. I keep one with neons and glo light tetra. Only issue would be room on the bottom as you already have Corydora and RAMs are geophagus which are earth eaters so could get a bit crowded down there. Bolivian RAM are peaceful though.
Id increase cory shoal and also your skirt shoal to at least 6 each, the more the merrier.
Other fish that fit your water and will get along with your current fish are similarly sized tetras, rasboras, pencil fish, cherry barbs, hatchet fish and possibly smaller gpurami like honey gourami.

If you go for 2 Bolivian rams, it must be a male-female bonded pair. These fish, like a lot of cichlids, must choose their own mates; buying any male and any female could result in the death of one of them. Two males will fight.

There are ways to choose a bonded pair from the tank at the store, if you decide to do this we can tell you what to look for.

You could do a large school of skirts, a Bolivian ram, and the cories easy.

Max for this:
8-10 skirt tetras
1-2 Bolivian rams
20 corydoras

OR

8 skirt tetras
8 of another schooler
1-2 Bolivian rams
10-15 corydoras
I wouldnt put bolivian RAms in Pairs, if not a female and male they will each claim territory in the tank and defend it from each other. If a male and a female if they dont bond the male will pick on the female for territory. If they do bond then theyll attempt to breed at which case the corydora will eat all the eggs which isnt a problem if one doesnt want babies and wants free cory food :) bolivian Rams do better singly as the males are solitary in the wild except during breeding season. At least this has what ive been told and am open to any other evidence suggesting other wise

I wouldnt put bolivian RAms in Pairs, if not a female and male they will each claim territory in the tank and defend it from each other. If a male and a female if they dont bond the male will pick on the female for territory. If they do bond then theyll attempt to breed at which case the corydora will eat all the eggs which isnt a problem if one doesnt want babies and wants free cory food :) bolivian Rams do better singly as the males are solitary in the wild except during breeding season. At least this has what ive been told and am open to any other evidence suggesting other wise
mentioned 2 as in a proven bonded pair

Sorry for the late reply, but I appreciate everyone's input on this. Definitely feel im heading in the right direction now with this advice. Giving it one more week before I go out to purchase so will keep you all updated!

I don't believe so, but it is an older tank and there's no brand anywhere on it.
Just make sure you have quite a bit of oxygen going for the depth and you'll need steps most likely and extensions for when you clean, mine was 60 gallons and it wouldn't have gone only for the depth plus my corys was having to take more gulps at the top then just one but you can't beat top filter systems but that's my opinion :)

Here's mine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back