Tank Weight

Neo_ad

New Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Silsden, West Yorkshire
There was an error processing the request. Please go back and try again, or contact an administrator for assistance.
connection to localhost:3312 failed

I was trying to use the search function to help me out but I keep getting errors, so it has forced me to post so sorry if this has been answered before.

I used to keep fish when I was younger along side my dad who was had a huge set-up of 20+ tanks and picked up lots of good info from him, I haven't kept fish for a good 10 years and I really enjoyed it so I started making some plans to set a new tank up.

I am aiming to get the largest tank I can afford/fit in my games room so I was wondering as a general guide what sort of tank size would be ok upstairs in a terraced house? the house is made of solid stone build around the 1900's in West Yorkshire, England. (not sure what other info you would need)

My ideal tank size would be 120x60x60cm (give or take on the hight, width etc)

If anyone has any advice I would much appreciate it, thanks.

(looking forward to using the forum in the future also)
 
well water weighs 1kg a litre, so i suggest you get a structurel engineer in and he will give you an idea of what you floor can take...
 
Yeah of course that's an option but it costs, I was just looking for similar people maybe from the UK. That had a more personal insight into this that's all, or maybe a way I can check myself.
 
Ok, this will make a few people wince :shifty:

Check out my sig and you will see I have 3 tanks, a 155ltr, a 120ltr and a 34ltr making a total of eerrr? over 300ltrs :crazy:

They are all in my upstairs study (alright, alright....the 3rd bedroom :rolleyes: ) and I live in a 30yr old, 'timber framed' house.

I equated the total weight of tanks/water/decs-substrate to the weight of mates and I wouldn't worry about that many being in the same room at the same time. Ok, so I realise that my mates will not be standing in the same spot as a tank would but when you look at the weight of full wardrobes (well my wife's 5, complete with over head lockers and fully loaded anyway!) then I don't think there is a problem.

I guess someone will come up with a formula for weight to joist ratio's in the meanwhile mine look fine and dandy.......what was that creaking sound :unsure:

Just check which way the joists run and spread the tank across as many as possible. Also it is better to have the tank against an outside wall rather than the middle wall.

Ok guys, do your worst! :P (Ps, what works for me may not work for you so you are on your own!)
 
woah that is some impressive tanks upstairs :)

Thanks for the reply, is a the wall connecting to house next door weaker than an outside wall or are they classed as the same thing?
 
The best option would be to get an expert in if you're unsure. You have to add not just the weight of water but substrate, stand and glass which can sometimes add up.

I read an article on tank weight and wooden houses (probably still relevant to you), its a good read for people worried about their tanks weight LINK.

An online calculator said that with a 1" sand substrate, a glass aquarium 1" thick would weigh approx. 1486.58 pounds (roughly 675kg + weight of stand + filter - if a wet/dry this could be abit).

If it makes you feel better I have a 342 litres, 260 litre and 180 litre tank in my bedroom and recently there was someone in the photo section having a 600 litre tank in their bedroom (though I think they might have had some special cirumstances or something).
 
I equated the total weight of tanks/water/decs-substrate to the weight of mates and I wouldn't worry about that many being in the same room at the same time. Ok, so I realise that my mates will not be standing in the same spot as a tank would but when you look at the weight of full wardrobes (well my wife's 5, complete with over head lockers and fully loaded anyway!) then I don't think there is a problem.

I'm afraid that in the article I linked to disagrees with this analogy calling it a myth, that the length of time a tank will be placed in one spot will put more strain on the floor.
 
I equated the total weight of tanks/water/decs-substrate to the weight of mates and I wouldn't worry about that many being in the same room at the same time. Ok, so I realise that my mates will not be standing in the same spot as a tank would but when you look at the weight of full wardrobes (well my wife's 5, complete with over head lockers and fully loaded anyway!) then I don't think there is a problem.

I'm afraid that in the article I linked to disagrees with this analogy calling it a myth, that the length of time a tank will be placed in one spot will put more strain on the floor.

I always understood a static weight gave less strain than a moving weight :unsure: and surely if the joists can support a bath full of water (plus a person) is can support a fish tank?
But obviously it's always best to spread the weight over as many joists as possible.
 
I equated the total weight of tanks/water/decs-substrate to the weight of mates and I wouldn't worry about that many being in the same room at the same time. Ok, so I realise that my mates will not be standing in the same spot as a tank would but when you look at the weight of full wardrobes (well my wife's 5, complete with over head lockers and fully loaded anyway!) then I don't think there is a problem.

I'm afraid that in the article I linked to disagrees with this analogy calling it a myth, that the length of time a tank will be placed in one spot will put more strain on the floor.

I always understood a static weight gave less strain than a moving weight :unsure: and surely if the joists can support a bath full of water (plus a person) is can support a fish tank?
But obviously it's always best to spread the weight over as many joists as possible.

Also in the article, it says how builders reinforce where the bath will go, and as such the bath area isn't a representation about the structure of the whole of the house. The artice can explain it much better than I ever can, but it basically says the reasoing that 'if the floor can take this weight...it can take a fish tank' is often incorrect reasoning.
 
I always understood a static weight gave less strain than a moving weight :unsure:

technically you are correct, however in structural design dead (no movement) and live (moving) loads are treated differently. in certain cases dead loading will govern the structural capacity of an element.

personally without being able to see the underfloor joists i wouldn't risk the loading of a tank that size upstairs. having said that if you can pull a couple of floor boards up to check, it should be ok if its located against a supporting wall and spanning across a few joists
 
I always understood a static weight gave less strain than a moving weight :unsure:

technically you are correct, however in structural design dead (no movement) and live (moving) loads are treated differently. in certain cases dead loading will govern the structural capacity of an element.

personally without being able to see the underfloor joists i wouldn't risk the loading of a tank that size upstairs. having said that if you can pull a couple of floor boards up to check, it should be ok if its located against a supporting wall and spanning across a few joists


^^^^

Some good advice there.
 
Pulling the floor up is a bit drastic. Surely just by following the nails will tell you where the joists run and you can tell which are supporting walls from plain dividing walls just by tapping them?

The OP is looking for approx 130 lts more than I have so I guess thats like me having another Rio125 in my room. Even I may take my head out of the sand and look twice :huh: Also their tank weight would be all in one place whereas mine are spread about a bit.

432 lts, upstairs and in one place plus all the gear -_- ......... :no:

*edit* typo! :blush:
 
Thanks for all the help, after looking into this more and speaking to my mum she is now letting me set up the tank in the living room so all is good :) so your replys have infact pushed things in my favor. I had a whole speach planed and my mum was like why not just have it in the living room, I was like erm what? :)

Sorry for wasting your time, now to purchase my tank and start the planing :P
 
I've heard most floors are designed for 200 lbs/ft^2. It was in a thread about apartment buildings though. Be conservative.

A tank weighs around 9 lbs/US gal.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top