Tank upgrade

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kurtjs

Reaction score
Hello all,
I think I'm finally ready to upgrade my tank from a 10g to a 29g, I think it will greatly help me keep the water parameters under control. And give me more plant/fish options. I plan on it becoming a love plant corydora/ rainbowfish pseudomugil tank. With a pleco.

I currently have live plants doing well but with better lighting they could be even better.

Looking at a 29 gallon tank, a hinged glass top, filter maybe two sponge filters or a sponge filter with a quiet stream drop down type. Was wondering what people might think dis best in the way of filters. I currently have the silentstream 10 and a small corner sponge. Would be willing to upgrade.
My other wonder is lighting for plants, what would be best with the glass top.

Thanks

Sponge filters are such a simple design that I don't think the brand matters that much.
I use this one for my 29 gallon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CMV7ZDX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But mostly because it came rigged with an airstone. After I saw how they do it, I can just add an air stone to any sponge filter myself using a pair of wire cutters.
I do recommend this air pump to go with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098QT1594/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
It has a lithium battery backup. So even if you lose power, it will keep going. You can also power it off a portable charger or a laptop. So it's portable. Very handy.

For the light, a good LED that sits across the tank frame above the cover glass will work fine. I'm not much on LED, used T8, so others can comment on good plant units. You want a white light (forget blue) that is in the range of 5000K to 6500K. With the fish mentioned you will have lots of substantial floating plants to shade.

For cories, make sure the substrate is soft sand. You're in the USA so Quikrete Play Sand is a good inexpensive option (Home Depot, Lowe's, maybe elsewhere, but the Quikrete brand is better for aquaria), or an inert aquarium river sand. Avoid white, and black, both are trouble for cories especially.

Sponge filters are ideal for small quiet fish. Th cories may need more current though. I use the Aqueon Silent Flow internal filter, it is just a sponge and motor, but you can adjust it to have some more water movement. In a 29g (presumably 30 inches length) the 10g or 20g size will work, the 20g probably better. You can direct the flow across the rear wall of the tank so there is less current in front for the rainbows.

Most reactions

Back