Tank setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rick147

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,
I Just wanted to get some opinions on my tank. (3ft)

I have 6 rainbow and 6 blue eye.
They are all babies now and understand I will need to separate/ remove some in the near future.

Just wanted to see if I should have more or less plants and also rock.
264CAF33-BB0B-4D52-B625-3630CFB80B7B.jpeg
F8EF7261-2F5B-429C-B334-0B0878C99975.jpeg
86B60E77-2A30-422E-A31F-B8C1853C3128.jpeg
EE9A10F2-D78D-4813-98F1-C76DC98FE17B.jpeg

Have you cycled it yet or are you still mid-cycle?

You have been given loads of advice regarding getting it cycled before adding fish (having taken back 4 sets of fish so far cos you were jumping the gun)

It is vital that the aquarium is fully cycled before you add fish....and these current fish, did you add them all at once or a few over time, since adding that many in one go will knacker the water chemistry...especially when not cycled properly.

I have just taken this photo of a portion of my 150g. Concentrate on stem plants and use the others as fillers
20220511_173028.jpg

The comment above was not to mock you but to ask a serious question

The tank looks awesome I’m jealous of the live plant lol

But were all the fish added at once? If the answer is yes, you aren’t going to need to take them back. But you may need some advise for what is to come

If not it’s fine either way :)

The fish were added all at once, they are very very small.
However I am still doing water changes every second day and monitoring levels.

Ammonia has gone up very very slightly, when checked before each water change.
Nitrate also slightly up.

I believe everything is working in well and ill continue to monitor and change water until its 100%

Yeah your ammonia will have went up because you added all fish at once but I wouldn’t particularly worry, just keep up on water testing and water changes

Make sure you keep on top of your ammonia which it sounds like you are, it will eventually level out. I'd recommend getting some fast growing plants and floating plants which will really help. Limnophilla Sessiflora, Vallisnera, Water Sprite anything to get the ammonia out of the water.

Really nice choice of fish, you may be able to end up with 2 pairs in there but will have to see you might have to pick same sex singletons in the end (which is the easier choice IMO).

I came across this awesome video of Sajica (relative of the blue eyes) showing them in the wild and native habitats - the second location in the video is particularly awesome and could provide some inspiration on how to scape your tank.

Wills

Should I add more water flow? for the fish or the plants?
My filter sits on the back of the tank facing foward as there would be no room for the light if it sits on the side

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back