Tank Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lunar Jetman

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
So, I've had an eventful weekend regarding my tank but have some plans on where this will go, so let me set the scene for you first.

Saturday morning I was tiding up the front room and dusting my tank when I noticed that one of the vertical supports appeared to be losing the outer layer. The tank is about 13 years old and is made by Rena. It's a 120x40x60 and the stand is basically a kind of MDF/chipboard that the tank rests on.

Here is a picture:
55e93e2b-b321-4628-86f1-ac31e8f5aae4-original.jpg

And close up:
4412690a-0fa5-463b-b803-a86d207f4dea-original.png

Upon further inspection i found that all my paperwork (old fish tank related stuff) that was next to this support was soaked and the box holding my test kit disintegrated as I picked it up...

The root of the problem was identified as my external filter, a Rena XP3, was leaking from point where the power cable leaves the unit. A regular drip was coming out...

I obviously turned off the filter off and put it outside, then cleared out everything and dried the cabinet with a towel. Looking around i saw the same slightly expanded MDF on the rear of this panel shown above:
(excuse the dust, its difficult to get behind with the hoover!)

15033291-e310-4630-83ff-e01b8412de3f-original.png

Also the other side of the cabinet had similar issues at either end. I'll spare you the dust photos!

So at this stage I've got a cabinet made of MDF that has got wet and I am concerned over the structural integrity of it. It could have been a lot worse and it still seemed quite solid but I'm at the point where I'm not comfortable that it will last long term.

I have at this stage a choice, I can just get rid of the whole set up or replace the current tank and cabinet. I looked on ebay for a second hand cabinet that would do but the couple on there are pickup only and auctions which seem to be going for anything from £100-400 depending on the quality of the item. Since I only want the cabinet, this could be quite excessive.

On top of that I'll need a new filter so worse case I could be spending £600 on a second hand tank cabinet and a new filter....

Anyway, I have put in some strengthening battens just in case, to help keep the tank standing.

d21edb68-fa9e-4fd4-bb64-22973e4cb7ab-original.jpg

I've got three down one side, and three down the other with a cross beam at the back. Hopefully this is all overkill but I'd rather that than wake up or come home to a flooded front room..

In the meantime, I had an old Rena XP2 filter (smaller thatn the XP3) so was able to cannibalise the head of that to put on the base of the XP3 so I have a working, albeit noisy, rattly filter currently.

Thinking of trying to add some vaseline to the impeller shaft to see if that helps reduce the noise tonight.

The rest of my Sunday was spent looking at tanks but will come on to that shortly.

Just build a new stand out of pine.

Your cabinet could have wet feet too, so check underneath it.

If you clean the filter materials in a bucket of tank water, you can put them into the tank and they will live there until you get a new filter. You can also dry the top of the filter and put some silicon on it to stop it leaking.

We're planning on redecorating the front room in the next year so something like pine wouldn't really fit, plus I'm not sure I'm too comfortable building something that needs to hold that much weight. I'm sure it's doable but I'm reluctant.

Filter is running ok currently, albeit noisily but that's an option. Was contemplating some silicone to fix it. If the vaseline quietens it, I might just leave it as is.

Last edited:
Coming home to a wet floor and cracked tank is my worst fear (well, not my worst but it’s up there). Could you locate a used piece of furniture to do the trick? People are repurposing old dressers like crazy now. Good luck!

Coming home to a wet floor and cracked tank is my worst fear (well, not my worst but it’s up there). Could you locate a used piece of furniture to do the trick? People are repurposing old dressers like crazy now. Good luck!

Thanks. Having a look at that option. Also seen a couple of this type of tank on eBay so might end up getting a new tank/cabinet and throwing away the spare tank if I can’t find a home for it.

Outch that is one hella leak, it is good you spotted it when you did, as for cabinet have a nosy around, but you will be surprised how little you need to hold up such weight, I been using ikea units to hold up my tanks

110L on a besta box unit I’m amazed it holds up but it does and doesn’t exactly wobble or feel weak

Vaseline may help but I found with my filters after cleaning even with Vaseline they still make noise but after a few weeks they stop I guess the grime around the impeller helps to a degree - I have since stopped cleaning the impeller unless it is blocked or slows down in any way

I have to disagree in the comment “you will be surprised how little you need to hold up such weight.” You’re really risking it, I’m afraid. You have to consider that 1 gallon of water weighs over 8lbs or over 3 liters. Multiply that by your tank size and you need the support! Even a 10 gallon weighs more than 80 lbs when filled with water, substrate, and decor. Not to mention the weight of the tank itself.

I'm hoping that my temporary solution will hold for now and I have just about convinced my wife that we can afford a new tank/cabinet setup. Will cost me a few quid, but I'll get to set up from scratch again which I am secretly looking forward to! :)

I will start a new thread to follow this or continue this one if I have a different approach.

@Zikofski the vaseline made no difference unfortunately. I think the old filter (XP2) has sat in the shed for the last 6 or so years. I basically got a second hand XP3 around that time and swapped them over, but it had exactly the same problem and I had to buy a replacement impeller. Currently I'm living with it for now, but have to sort out a seal around my sink in the kitchen so will be buying some silicone sealer so might try that on the leaking filter.

Keep the old tank!!! I wish I had a couple old tanks laying around I could use in a jam. I tend to fill any tanks I have full of fish lol. Kills me to have a QT tank with nothing in it lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back