Tank pH compared to Tap Water pH

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

I have repeated the test, and the pH for the sand and water alone has stayed the same. and the pH for the rock has slightly increased.

I test GH to look for leaching now, it's faster and also rises.
as for the GH, the GH of the rock water is 6 the same as the water in my tank.

I have repeated the test, and the pH for the sand and water alone has stayed the same. and the pH for the rock has slightly increased.

as for the GH, the GH of the rock water is 6 the same as the water in my tank.
Is it the same as your other test samples?

Seems pretty conclusive. The rock raises the GH and pH. Next question is, what fish species? If soft water, it would be best to not use this rock. The initial GH and pH are well suited to soft water species.

Seems pretty conclusive. The rock raises the GH and pH. Next question is, what fish species? If soft water, it would be best to not use this rock. The initial GH and pH are well suited to soft water species.
Yeah, the rock wont be going back in the tank. will plenty of water changes on my tank bring the pH and GH back down ?

I have 2 neon tetras (I did start off with 10 about 2 years ago or so, but over the years slowly lost them. most of them seemed to get bloated) I suspect this could be to do with the neon tetea disease. or could it be something else ?

i also have 4 pygmy corys and 1 otto (started with 3 ottos but lost one the day after buying them, and lost one not that long ago due to being stuck in the last filter I had)

Yeah, the rock wont be going back in the tank. will plenty of water changes on my tank bring the pH and GH back down ?

Yes. It may not take many, and no need to go overboard, now we know the issue. I would change 50% once a week going forward.

I have 2 neon tetras (I did start off with 10 about 2 years ago or so, but over the years slowly lost them. most of them seemed to get bloated) I suspect this could be to do with the neon tetea disease. or could it be something else ?

I have no idea. This fish seems to be in quite poor health these days. You might consider other soft water fish, you have tons to choose from, and the two remaining neons can live out their days. Or acquire more neons. You do also need to triple the pygmy cories, no fewer than 12 in total, or more. I can't see the tank size though...dimensions (length and width) and volume?

Yes. It may not take many, and no need to go overboard, now we know the issue. I would change 50% once a week going forward.

I have no idea. This fish seems to be in quite poor health these days. You might consider other soft water fish, you have tons to choose from, and the two remaining neons can live out their days. Or acquire more neons. You do also need to triple the pygmy cories, no fewer than 12 in total, or more. I can't see the tank size though...dimensions (length and width) and volume?
Yeah I generally do a 50% water change weekly anyway.

I have read white a few things on this forum about neon tetras not being so healthy these days, due to mass breeding. I think I would prefer to avoid getting neons again.

This is the tank volume and dimensions. but that doesnā€™t work out correct to me

Attachments

• 947E19CB-82A8-4F9B-BC09-8EA71F0A34E5.jpeg
    947E19CB-82A8-4F9B-BC09-8EA71F0A34E5.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 13
to confirm it is 48l. The measurements on the tank sticker is the outer dimensions including the base to the lid

That is 42 by 39 by 38 cm. This is 62 liters or 16 US gallons. There is a conversion chart (Aquarium Calculator) on the right side of the page here.

Twelve pygmy cories, no change there. As I said, neons are OK, but if you want to have different, there are small tetras (Ember Tetra), the dwarf rasboras in Boraras, the Green Neon is smaller and does not have the health issues of the neon if you want to stay with this type of fish.

That is 42 by 39 by 38 cm. This is 62 liters or 16 US gallons. There is a conversion chart (Aquarium Calculator) on the right side of the page here.

Twelve pygmy cories, no change there. As I said, neons are OK, but if you want to have different, there are small tetras (Ember Tetra), the dwarf rasboras in Boraras, the Green Neon is smaller and does not have the health issues of the neon if you want to stay with this type of fish.
those measurements is the full tank on the outside including the lid which is quite bulky, and also includes the outer lip of the base. Iā€™ve just measured the tank up to where the water level is and not including the base. I get roughly 31cm x 38cm x 40.5cm. This comes out at 47.7 litres. So 48 litres has got to be correct.

If I was to up my pygmy corys to 12, would I still be able to have something else in there ? Is there any fish that I could buy as a single and it be the centre piece of the tank ? I feel like if i was to go for another species that is better in a school would be overstocked ?

those measurements is the full tank on the outside including the lid which is quite bulky, and also includes the outer lip of the base. Iā€™ve just measured the tank up to where the water level is and not including the base. I get roughly 31cm x 38cm x 40.5cm. This comes out at 47.7 litres. So 48 litres has got to be correct.

If I was to up my pygmy corys to 12, would I still be able to have something else in there ? Is there any fish that I could buy as a single and it be the centre piece of the tank ? I feel like if i was to go for another species that is better in a school would be overstocked ?

Yes on the 12 pygmy cories and yes to another small shoaling/schooling fish. I had 12 dwarf rasbora Boraras brigittae and 11 pygmy cories in a 37 liter (10 gallon) tank with no filter, just the plants. We often get hung up on numbers and volume, but providing the right number of fish means they will be less stressed and that means healthier. They must also be suited to one another, with the same requirements respecting water parameters, decor, plants or whatever.

In a tank this small I would not recommend any type of centerpiece fish. This just doesn't work to the benefit of the fish. One or two or three groups of small-sized fish will provide more interest and be in better health.

Yes on the 12 pygmy cories and yes to another small shoaling/schooling fish. I had 12 dwarf rasbora Boraras brigittae and 11 pygmy cories in a 37 liter (10 gallon) tank with no filter, just the plants. We often get hung up on numbers and volume, but providing the right number of fish means they will be less stressed and that means healthier. They must also be suited to one another, with the same requirements respecting water parameters, decor, plants or whatever.

In a tank this small I would not recommend any type of centerpiece fish. This just doesn't work to the benefit of the fish. One or two or three groups of small-sized fish will provide more interest and be in better health.
Thats good then! iā€™ll deffo up my number of dwarf corys and have a good look around at another school i can add to the tank. First thing though, im going to get my pH and GH down with the 50%weekly water changes. Thanks again

When you see a fish species you like, I suggest you run the species past us. Store people are generally very unreliable, and if you end up getting something that will tear into the cories...not good.

I have had some interesting experiences asking store staff about fish I saw and did not know anything about. Once it was a tank of small loaches, can't remember what they were, but I knew nothing about them beyond the obvious (need a group, soft water). I asked the lady and she said they remain very small and are peaceful. I managed to get the scientific name from their invoice, and went home to research. Turns out they are anything but peaceful, and got close to 5 or 6 inches. They stayed in the store. If I had put those in any of my room of tanks, it would have been disastrous.

On another occasion, same store actually (and one of the better here, independent), I spotted four what looked like a pencilfish in a tank of wild caught rummynose tetras. I asked about them, and the person told me they looked like siamese algae eaters. I didn't bother to point out that a by-catch with wild-caught rummynose tetras from SA was unlikely to be an Asian cyprinid. Anyway, I did buy these because I was fairly sure what they were, and she gave them to me for the same price as the rumys since she didn't know what else to call them. They were Nannostomus digramus, one of the rarer pencilfish. I have kept 9 or more species of pencilfish so no surprises, but it shows how little some of these people know. Always research before purchasing.

I definitely will! I wouldnā€™t want to cause any harm to my corys. Yeah I have noticed myself that the majority of staff in pet stores donā€™t have the best knowledge when you ask them about some of the fish. They seem to struggle to clearly say the requirement of the fish and end up saying first thing that comes to mind.

Well that definitely could of been a disaster if you took her word, and didnā€™t do the research! :oops:

Its not really good that they are able to sell fish, without knowing what species they are and their requirements. But on the other hand I suppose the good side is you knew the fish and was able to get them at a cheaper price. However that could not of been the same outcome for someone knew to the hobby

@Byron I have just done another water test, and my pH and GH have increased back to what they originally was. I havenā€™t added the rock back in. and my test the other week proved that the sand wasnā€™t causing the pH and GH to rise.

Could there be something else causing this ? or do you think a water change every couple of days for a week could solve the problem ?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2BAF94DB-3C2D-43B2-82B4-981D91BD53C3.jpeg
    2BAF94DB-3C2D-43B2-82B4-981D91BD53C3.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 12

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back