Tank Of Death...

indigoj

sic itur ad astra
Joined
Jun 23, 2007
Messages
2,197
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bury, UK
My 6x2x2 tank seems to have become a death trap for new fish. It has been set up about 12 months (was bought 2nd hand fully mature) for several months it ran problem free with a gibbiceps, 3xclarias and 2 kissing gourami.

One clarias got bullied so I sold it and then the gibby died, no apparent reason but I reckon that was the start.

A couple of months ago I tried to transfer 2 oscars from grow out into there - 1 died within 24 hours the other survived. I also lost a clarias at this time to what looked like columnaris.

Since then the tank has had both filters cleaned (in tank water from a different tank) substrate removed, several 50% water changes, decor boiled and has been seemingly fine with the 2 kissing gourami and remaining clarias doing well.

So, I transfered my 2 oscars over (again) and now 48 hours later both are dead. They literally seemed to have the scales melt off them - clouded eyes, excess slime coat, and what looked like extreme fin rot.

Ammonia&NitrIte = 0 , Nitrate = 20

The gourami and clarias are unaffected.

What is going on? Any clues? Heaters are intact and working. Other tanks in the house use the same water supply and are unaffected. Tank is open topped with just plastice drip trays to prevent jumping but if any contaminant got in the tank I would imagine all inhabitants to be affected and it to be more sudden - besides we don't spray anything in the room because of the tank.

I'm on the verge of giving up.
 
hmmmm

anything like perfumes being used near the tank?

has your water board added anything?

sorry to hear bout the losses mate :(
 
No perfumes etc.

Nothing obvious with the water, does anyone in the North West know anything about the local water?
 
What product are you using to treat the replacement water with, and how much are you using? As you are thinking, I would suspect supply water first.
 
Not sure about your area but where iam if i go to the yorkshire water website you can enter your post code and it tells you laods of info about the water
 
Dechlorinator is seachem prime used as directed on the bottle. I use the same water and dechlorinator on 3 other tanks. Including the one the Oscars moved from.

I will try and check out the local water though as this has to be the first port of call.
 
Try doubling up on the Prime, a large water change with 2x Prime and increased aeration are the first things I do at the sign of trouble. Since it is used gear the drip trays may have something on them that is slowly entering the tank if they are used as well. Also take a good look at the light fixture, unplugging & dismantling if needed. Many fixtures will corrode due to humidity, this can slowly enter the tank.
 
Good plan - I think I'll get new drip trays and I've actually got new lights coming soon too so can replace a lot of the older stuff.

It has been suggested that I strip it down bleach it out and recycle the filters.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top