Tank Mate Suggestions?

jmann

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion. I have a Red Devil that I have had for about three years. I have not been able to keep anything with him for any period of time. He has torn up Oscars, Dempsys and anything else I have put in with him. Can anyone suggest anything I can put in with him? Be it another cichlid or even a catfish.

I am going to say this only cause I am sure that it is going to be asked later.... it all really depends on how big your tank is.... don't know much about red devils except that they are exceptionally mean. just my kind of fish, but again like I said it all depends.

i have two red devils. one i grew out and the other i got when he was older. the one i grew out goes with anything. the one i got when he was older was a royal pain. could not keep anything with him. even the other red devil. then one day had a near catastrophe, his tank broke. actually two tanks. him i put in my mbuna tank. was way over crowded but it was midnight and i had no other choice. the next day i noticed that he was the new kid on the block and the chippokae was still ruler. got a new tank for him and set it up. in the meantime he stayed with the overcrowded mbuna tank. when i did put him in a new tank about two weeks later, he had calmed down considerably. keeping him well fed and in an overcrowded tank seem to make him less aggressive. convicts are good, they are small enough to have hiding places too small for the devil, and provide food from the numerous fry that they produce. he was so bad that he had bit me on several occassions. quite deep also. now i can put my hand in the tank and he does not come after me. knock on wood.

if you want to match the temperament f the devil, the ocscar and dempsey imo are not going to cut it. go for the managuense, jaguar or dovii. make sure that you do not put any fish in the tank that can fit in his mouth, he will eat it.

maggie

Right now he is in a 75 by himself. I did try convicts with him. They did fine for a little while, but when he got done beating on the oscars he turned on them. I got everything out before he had a chance to kill them. But I haven't tried anything with him except another red devil of about the same size and it only lasted about two hours. I got him when he was real small. For all the trouble he has been he is an awesome looking fish and I could never bring myself to get rid of him.

i know what you mean. my guy has the sweetest looking face. i know that is a girly remark, but he does! devils need to have a cave to make their own. do you have a sheltered area that he can get into and call his own? also do you have hiding spots for the convicts? you could try the dovii. they are very aggressive. theyare usually found with devils in the wild cause they feed on the fry of the devil. they can hold their own against them. the problem is going to be able to find one of substantial size that you can put in with him without it being eaten. they are very cool fish. very aggressive. they are known to not like to have strangers approach their tank. will try their best to ward them off. managuenses and jaguars are also of the same aggression level, but them again you have the problem with finding one of substantial size. may have to grow one out. what are you feeding your devil. could try brine shrimp and bloodworms. full tummies make them less aggressive. if protein is abundant they will not look at other fish as food. just my experience with mine.

maggie

He has a big clay pot that he hides in. The convicts had some rock formations to hide in. He didn't bother them all the time, but he would ambush them when they came out to eat. They are alot bigger now and I have toyed with the idea of putting them back in with him, its been over a year since they were together. My friend has a nice firemouth that he has offered me. He is one of the biggest firemouths I have ever seen. Anyone have any thoughts on a catfish to put in. I thought maybe if I could find a good sized raphael. He has killed a large pleco in the past.

I would recommend a Jaguar Cichlid. I am yet to keep, or see anyone else keep, a fish that could bully these beasts. The Red Devils are monsters in their own right, so things I have a feeling could somewhat even out.

Definitely, I suggest a Jaguar. An adult of course. They will make your Devil think twice.

I'll be moving in a month or two. When I get all set up I think I'll try a Jaguar with him. Any ideas on a scavenger?

Wouldnt a devil and jaguar be too much fish for a 75? might want to look into another tank. i keep a green terror with my devil, the devil grew up in the tank the terror was in though. as for scavengers, i have a channel cat. they come out at night, if they have somewhere to hide at. the fish dont really bother him, he is so spastic if its not dark they are probably scared. and just curious but isnt managuese and jaguar same fish?? managuese is part of the scientific name i thought??

That might be tight in a 75. Thats if I can even find a Jaguar the right size to put in with him. I tried channel cats with him. I gave them plenty of cave space to hide in. I would hear splashing at night. I think he was ambushing the cats. They lasted a few days. I saved one thats I still have.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back